cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30amp / 50amp question

Texas_on_the_ro
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold my 30Amp trailer and buying a new 50Amp trailer that has 2 AC's. When visiting my Father he has a 30A plug. Can I still plug in my old 30A surge/voltage protector, use a 30 to 50 adaptor, and still have power but use only one AC?
22 REPLIES 22

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Gotta be smarter than the problem
  • Go to large auto parts store
  • Buy a cup of coarse valve lapping compound
  • Prep an old unusable 30 or 50 amp plug
  • make some sort of Mickey Mouse handle to yank the plug out
  • Dab a light coat of compound all over the prongs
  • Then push and yank the plug in and out of the receptacle 10 times
  • Some compounds are electrically conductive so use a light smear
  • Brake cleaner will blast the excess off both the cleaning plug and then into the receptacle
  • And yes it is a good idea to trip the breaker while doing this work

Texas_on_the_ro
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great info...and education.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I use a file. Takes just a minute or so. Some people carry a product like De-oxit (sp) to spray into to the pedestal. I don't do that, but I do check my plug often when running air to make sure it's not heating up even with just the air on. A little bit of heat can grow over hours and hours of use. I also turn off the electric water heater, and I use solar for battery charging.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I see what your saying . I talking about I guess perfect conditions which we wonโ€™t have. That reminds I should clean my plugs. They do get tarnished .
Anybody ever clean them with brass cleaner then wipe them with alcohol thinking of trying it. ?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Kpackpackkelley wrote:
So # 10 wire and a 30 amp breaker and plug canโ€™t be run at 30 amps continuous
The problem is the plug and socket. Most sockets have some kind of corrosion, causing a poor connection and heat. The point of connection of the wires to the plug are also a weak point.

Your mileage may vary.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
So # 10 wire and a 30 amp breaker and plug canโ€™t be run at 30 amps continuous.
Do you have to bigger wire or plug or breaker. Plug , wire and breaker are not a generator with a motor ..

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Kpackpackkelley wrote:
Two ac โ€˜s should be around 30 amps or do they pull more than that.
They pull 5x that much on starting up, but yeah, 30a is about right.

The problem here is that a "30a" system doesn't mean you should be running at 30a continuously. That means max, at least that's been my experience. You run a significant risk of overheating your plug when you do that.

It's like running a 2kw generator at 2k all the time. Ain't designed for that.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Two ac โ€˜s should be around 30 amps or do they pull more than that.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
tarnold wrote:
If I recall, on my PC when plugged into 30amp the second a/c is not receiving current thu the panel, so it canโ€™t be turned on.

Depends on how the manufacturer wires the RV. That is not a generally safe assumption to make. A lot, if not most, manufacturers merely put them on separate legs of the breaker panel. Since both legs get power with the 30 to 50 adapter, it is entirely possible that both ACs could be turned on. The manufacturer would have to put in something to detect that it was only 30 amp power, and disable the second AC.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Kpackpackkelley wrote:
Should be able to draw 30 amps any combination of loads.

Concur, IF the adapter connects both hot legs of he 50A plug to the one hot leg of the 30A plug.

100% of the 30 male to 50 amp adapters I am aware of DO connect the single hot on the 30 amp end to BOTH hots on the 50 amp end.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Kpackpackkelley wrote:

Concur, IF the adapter connects both hot legs of he 50A plug to the one hot leg of the 30A plug.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
If I recall, on my PC when plugged into 30amp the second a/c is not receiving current thu the panel, so it canโ€™t be turned on.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Texas on the road wrote:
Just sold my 30Amp trailer and buying a new 50Amp trailer that has 2 AC's. When visiting my Father he has a 30A plug. Can I still plug in my old 30A surge/voltage protector, use a 30 to 50 adaptor, and still have power but use only one AC?
Yes - I do this all the time at my home. I run one AC and turn on the fridge - on electric.

enblethen wrote:
It would not trip the rig's breaker, but the breaker you are plugged into whether it be a pedestal or wherever the circuit is fed from.

And this has actually happened because someone turned on the second AC without me knowing - no plugs were burned...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS