cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 > 30 > 20 amp

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
Can you adapt from 50 amp (on a class A) to 30 to 20 to power just the refrigerator preparing for a trip. It will be a short run and a 12 ga extension cord.

A buddy of mine asked and I initially thought yes, but I'm not sure.

Thanks....
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Refer still needs 12 volts DC from coach electrical system. Keeping battery charged would require 120 volts AC to the converter or inverter charger/

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
If you only need to power the fridge, just unplug it and plug it directly into the extension cord. No adapter needed.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I would use dog bones. I would not use the hockey puck style 30 - 20 amp, as they promote more heat in a very small area.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes-- but, on my inverter, you need to change the setting to tell it's at 15 or 20 amp otherwise it may trip the breaker.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I ran mine that way for years 365 days a year. 5 years ago I updated my systems and installed 50 amp service where I park mt trailer so I can turn on the AC the night before we roll out so I have a cool trailer when I am setting up so the dog doesnt cook to death waiting for everything to cool down.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My 50 amp 5er always stayed plugged in to a 15 amp outlet when in storage.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Easy answer yes. You can use 2 adapters or one single adaptor (that is harder to find).

Watch your current draw. Manually turn off the electric side of the water heater etc.

Cheers.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
Mmwtdh wrote:
Can you adapt from 50 amp (on a class A) to 30 to 20 to power just the refrigerator preparing for a trip. It will be a short run and a 12 ga extension cord.

Thanks....

in a word...yup. a word of caution based on my experience doing the same thing. if the chosen outlet is 15-amps you may trip the outlet breaker if your battery charger is also running. maybe. just fyi for you.

Also, keep in mind that house outlets are usually daisy chained with 6, 7, 8 outlets on a single breaker. All of the power on ALL of those outlets need to be considered as being used by the RV because the breaker will trip if overloaded. Not just by the RV, but by everything on all of the outlets.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Mmwtdh wrote:

Thanks....

in a word...yup. a word of caution based on my experience doing the same thing. if the chosen outlet is 15-amps you may trip the outlet breaker if your battery charger is also running. maybe. just fyi for you.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Yep!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sure can. I did.
NOTE you will have enough power for the Fridge. the converter (Top off batteries) and a small amount (TV) of other stuff.... NOT MUCH MORE. No water heater or air conditioner or Microwave.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Quick answer is Yes!
You can buy a straight 50-15/20.
50-15/20 adapter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is how I have our class A powered up when stored at home, although we use a 15 amp adapter (50>30>15) instead of 20 amp. Easily powers our 4 door Norcold with room to spare while keeping house batteries topped off via inverter charger.