cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7.5D Onan Question for the real Techs

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
My generator sat for a while and we finally started it, however, it doesn't generate when you excite. Can one use a slick stick on the stator ring? Do you have to remove the whole cover or can it be reached by removing the top cover? I am a Mechanic bu never ran into this problem but know to keep it simple stoopid. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
OK Thanks. We are pushing here this week with a lot of work outside and a snow storm of Unk Known intesity. 1 inch, 5 inches or more or less. I suppose it will melt but supposed to hit N VA tomorrow night. Gosh I have Fire Dept. too. Boy is this week going to be fun filled.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For generators that had lost residual rotor magnetism I would flash the field with a 6-volt lantern battery. Figuring out which of the + - 2 wires is which, seems to be a problem with Oh-Man generators. The flashing would excite the regulator and things would resume as normal.

Start the generator before you do the above and if the field excitation wires do indeed have voltage of any kind then the slip rings are glazed.

With the salt air I have, I made sure the KATO power unit was brushless.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
OK1 Thanks to all you for answering. I need to order the stick and like GJ said check the brushes. It had to sit unused fora year as our truck with the fuel tank blew up and we didn't get any fuel. Just spent over 8K on long block and turbo for 06 Duramax. Feel lighter! LOL

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Some pretty good trouble shooting info here.

Generator trouble shooting
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Jim.

Generator_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Check for stuck brushes also
Jim & Jane Latour
08 Chevy 3500HD, crew cab, dually, Duramax/Allison
Crossroads Cruiser CR305SK14, Onan 3.6KY
Retired AF CMS (E9) Power Generation and Onan RV genset Level III tech
Grand Strand Sams
Blog.rv.net

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that unit very well. But if you can see the rings and can get the stick to them. It should work just fine. Just put enough pressure on it. To see the ring coming clean. They don't have to be perfect but clean enough for the power to return. I have done this many times on the older onans.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would reseat all electrical connections.
With a meter check if any field voltage is present.
Then check if any field current.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE