cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7HGFAD-2141J Onan Generator popping!

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, have this truck mounted generator that is popping some, I'm told it died at least once. It has had fairly good maintenance, recent oil change, just put in new plugs, fuel filter was changed and is clear. Once thing I did notice is when priming the fuel it will go up to about 45 psi (not running) and will then drop off quickly when you let up on the primer....should this thing hold pressure like most cars? Also when it is running under a load, the fuel pressure gage needle will bounce from 30 to about 50 psi...not sure if it should do that. spec says fuel pressure is 43 psi....I have had it running for a while. the only code was an ac no signal code (27 code), but I am guessing that is from when it died the one time.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it was a JAD, sorry about that. We figured out it was too large of a load for the gen. The operator had a portable heater that was excess. removed that and the problem went away.

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
is this a HGJAD ? dont recognize HGFAD as a current ONAN model.
This is an EFI model, and fuel system works much like an automobile.
You have a high pressure pump, fuel pressure regulator, and return line to tank. Is "popping" coming from exhaust, intake, or ???.
would check rocker arms, valve guides, push rods. valve guides can come loose from heads, causing valves to not seat, and make a popping sound