cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80 amp converter and eu2000i

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

I'm putting together a 400A Lipo4 battery setup (4x100) and would like to charge it with a Progressive Dynamics PD9180AL converter, which I would occasionally run from my Honda eu2000i (1600W continuous) gen. PD lists the power  draw as 1300 watts  for this 80% efficient converter  (impossible).  I read where one guy said it drew well over 1800 watts at full power and his Honda couldn't power it. It's also suspicious to me that this converter has a 20A plug - why if it supposedly only draws 1300 watts? Realistically, this converter pulls close to 1500 watts and since it has a power factor of less than one, it could be more than 1600 watts.

So my question is, has anyone successfully run a 80A converter (for any battery type) from their Honda eu2000i?  I would like to hear from anyone here that has some insight or direct experience with this combination.

Thanks,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

Other than in advertising, the portable generators are rated in volt-amps (VA), not watts.  As you noted, with the power factor less than 1.0, the converter's draw in VA is higher than it's draw in watts.  In practical terms, the generator output is lower than the advertising wants you to think, and the converter's draw is higher.  My old PD9160A pulled 1,386 VA when providing a full load output of 864 watts.  Interpolating the numbers from 60 to 80 amp output yields 1,848 VA needed from the generator, above the eu2000i's continuous rating, and its maximum output if you're much above sea level.  Those numbers should be valid unless PD has improved its efficiency or PF over the years.  At the full power load, the 9160A's draw in watts was 952, so from interpolation, 1,300 watts for the PD9180AL is right on.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

Although I haven't used the 9180 specifically, I have used a number of other Progressive Dynamic (PD) and PowerMax (PM) converters.  The vast majority of these RV-type converters from PD, PM, etc. have very similar efficiency. I'd have to concur with "one guy" who said the 9180 would pull approx. 15a (1800w) while producing 80a. I used to own a PD9270 (70a) converter that pulled 13a (1560w).

Your Honda 2000w is rated at 1600w (13.3a) of continuous current and 2000w (16.6a) for 30 min. Assuming your Honda is capable of producing its rated output, it should be able to power the 9180.  However, it's going to be running absolutely flat-out and more. It won't like it. We have a Honda 2200 with a 15a continuous current rating (18.3a 30 min rating). We limit long-term loads to 13.3a. The Honda 2200 experiences a significant reduction in NVH when the load is reduced from 15a to ~13.3a.

For what it's worth, after dealing with scenarios like yours for years, it was a breath of fresh-air to be able to program maximum charge current (and/or maximum input current) to match shore or generator capacity with our Victron Multiplus. The Multiplus charger is also dramatically efficient---I was stunned the first time we used our Honda 2200 to charge. We typically get ~95a of charge current bulk charging our 12v lifepo4 pack using only ~13.5a of 120vac. When we're on 20 - 30a shore power we usually see 115-118a of charge current using only ~16.6a of 120vac.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Strange, I replied but now I see my post is gone.. Hmm, I'll try this again.

Thanks Road-Runner. I had forgotten about gens being rated in VA's. Seems the 80A is just too much for my little Honda so I'll be ordering the 60A version. The good part is I'll save some money and have even less voltage drop. I'll just have to run it longer during those few times I have to recharge at a site or maybe invest in some solar.

Thanks again, for the input,

S

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

Other than in advertising, the portable generators are rated in volt-amps (VA), not watts.  As you noted, with the power factor less than 1.0, the converter's draw in VA is higher than it's draw in watts.  In practical terms, the generator output is lower than the advertising wants you to think, and the converter's draw is higher.  My old PD9160A pulled 1,386 VA when providing a full load output of 864 watts.  Interpolating the numbers from 60 to 80 amp output yields 1,848 VA needed from the generator, above the eu2000i's continuous rating, and its maximum output if you're much above sea level.  Those numbers should be valid unless PD has improved its efficiency or PF over the years.  At the full power load, the 9160A's draw in watts was 952, so from interpolation, 1,300 watts for the PD9180AL is right on.

2009 Fleetwood Icon