cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C Relay and Hard Start Capacitor

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having slow (hard) start up of my 15000 Coleman air condition unit. After reading many different forums here and elsewhere, there were a lot of favorable recommendations of the Supco Hard Start Capacitor.

I went online and found Supco's web-site and read their suggestions for the proper compactor to use. Since I have a 1/3 HP motor they recommended the SPP5 capacitor 1/3 thru 2 HP. However, most of the recommendations mention in the forums say most people where suggesting/using the SPP6 capacitor that is for 1/2 thru 3 HP.

My question is why is the SPP6 is being recommended over the SPP5 ?
If you have to ask why I drive a Diesel, then you will never understand.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
Cummins(370/800) 68RE Auto 3.73 Rear
2018 Momentum 376TH
6 REPLIES 6

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Cool!

Thanks,
Mike
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The 6E is the one you want, though it isn't a miracle device- it can make it work at times when conditions are marginal. That module is the PTCR device, which duplicates the function of the Supco.
-- Chris Bryant

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I think I may need to replace my start capacitor. Yesterday it was about 102° when I first turned my A/C on and it would not start. This morning, when it was only 80° it started fine.

I removed my start cap this morning and it is rated at 88-108MFD, about the same as a Supco SPP6E. I guess it could be weak and needs replacing, but should I go up to a Supco SPP7E?

2. If I buy the Supco SPP6E, do I still put the WSX-5ACM module on top, or is this built into the SPP6E?

Thanks,
Mike
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
So Chris, are you r recommending the SPP6 or the SPP6E?

Edit: I have read your response again and see that in your opinion you would go with SPP6E. Thanks for your response.
If you have to ask why I drive a Diesel, then you will never understand.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
Cummins(370/800) 68RE Auto 3.73 Rear
2018 Momentum 376TH

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The compressor is the motor you are sizing it for, and a 15k btu compressor is a bit over 1 hp (mol), plus the capacitor is the same size as stock (88-108 mfd).

I actually disagree with Supco as to recommending the E series- they don't, I do. The reason they do not recommend it is it will recycle immediately- if you turn the compressor off then right back on, it will kick in, whereas the PTCR type (like stock) will not. My answer is to not turn the a/c off then right back on, plus most thermostats will prevent this.
My reason for recommending the E series is that running on a generator, the generator will sag briefly. The E series has a "potential" type relay which will keep the capacitor in the circuit until the compressor is running at 75% of speed. The original PTCR type (which the non-E series are) are time based, so they drop out even if the compressor is not running at speed.
The SPP6 is functionally identical to the stock Coleman start kit anyway.
-- Chris Bryant

Moved from Forum Technical Support