cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A question for all of you refrigerator experts...

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
We have an original Dometic Model RM 2652RV refrigerator in our 2006 Gulfstream Ultra Class C. It works great on the road and always has, but this time when we got home (after being gone for only one week), it keeps defrosting. By defrosting I mean we turn the refrigerator off, put towels in the bottom of the freezer and refrigerator compartments and leave the doors open. Usually the freezer towel has to be rung out a couple of times over a day or two and the refrigerator just has some moisture. After they dry out completely, we prop the doors open and leave them like that until our next trip. This time, we have been home a week and the freezer compartment nearly fills up with water and the towel has to rung out every day. Today, same. Any ideas about what is happening or comments?
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.
8 REPLIES 8

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I did that once, thought it was off and propped the door open. I came back several days later to find the floor covered with water.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all! We found our problem. After Scott suggest itโ€™s still running I went out and checked. I saw no lights so thought it was off. Then when Dutchman posted the PDF of the refrigerator manual I read it from front to back and noticed the diagram of the on off switch. No lights. Uh oh! So I went back to the barn and voila, the refrigerator was indeed ON! Thank you for catching my dumb mistake....yโ€™all are the BEST!

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If the refrigerator would ice up that much, the cooling should have been very poor. It should melt most build up of ice within a few hours of turning off, not days?

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Your neighbor is playing a trick on you. I once knew a guy that was meticulous about checking his fuel mileage in his car. His neibghor starting messing with him by adding and removing fuel at different times. Drove the guy crazy when his mileage was all over the map.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t have an ice maker and I went out and double checked...it is off. I do think there is a hugh buildup of ice inside the unit but not inside the compartments. They never had any ice buildup yet every morning I have an entire pan full of water which has melted. First time itโ€™s ever done this. Thank you for the refrigerator manual. We bought it as a repo with 4,000 miles on it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Click here for PDF of your refrigerator.

Does your model have the ice maker? Maybe water is siphoning from the ice maker water line.

Also, from the manual:

Function
During the summer months of high temperatures and
humidity, the metal frame between the freezer and fresh
food compartments may have water droplets forming. The
number of water droplets will increase if the vehicle isnโ€™t
air conditioned during these months. Some refrigerators
come standard with a 12 volt (DC) climate control that
will evaporate the water droplets when they form. To have
the climate control on, you position the switch (normally
located beneath the top decoration panel that houses the
control panel) to ON. The approximate amp draw is less
than .5 (1/2) amp.
Note: The climate control will draw 12 volt DC power
continuously when in the ON position on certain models.
It should be turned OFF when a charging source is not
available or unit is in storage.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You are saying after defrosting, you get rid of the initial water. THEN, without running the refer, you go back and you have a lot MORE water in the freezer? If so, I would think you must have an icemaker and it is leaking water thru the solenoid. If no icemaker, you must have had a LOT of Ice Buildup in the freezer. That moisture only comes from the humidity in the air. Doug

PS, or ScottG's observation

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's still running.