cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Simpler Explanation Of The Measurement Of ONE JOULE

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Passing one amp through one ohm of resistance in one second.

This means passing of power to earth ground (AC) or chassis negative (DC)
19 REPLIES 19

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are joules damnphool metric?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yes MoPar and the 5 or 4 pin module. GM and the HEI. The most reliable seemed to be the Ford unit. MoPar went through dual ballast resistors like crazy.

But it's thirty year old authors not even bothering to do an hour's research that bugs me.

To me what is uncertain is the effect BLUETOOTH interfaces would have on ECU and BCU processors. It's a lengthy circuit but Bluetooth winds it's way through alarms and auto lockout circuits. Alexa & Co would be another don't know area,Wi-fi and cell tower relays another.

Like I mentioned, given a great enough velocity a mass coronal ejection would strip Venus atmosphere and fling it on us and then Al's predictions would come to pass

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Let's do a followup shall we? I have ground through a dozen or so of these novels and NONE (0) recollect the year automobiles transited from points and condenser to electronic ignition changeover -- some were ten years + in error.

In a majority of cases, a saving grace was amateur radio HAM operators creating information networks. You know HAM don't you? The people with 50' antennas. Yet wristwatches stopped, all power grids went down and EMP seemed to grow in intensity to the point where it defeats shunt reclosers, you know the devices that shut down power for a few seconds when a million volt lightning strike contacts power transmission lines.

The final straw to my reading occurred a week or so ago when amidst all the other preposterous allegations, a pilot in a seaplane that somehow survived a CME could not clear 10,000 feet altitude because of lack of oxygen. Everyone would lose consciousness and pass out and the plane would crash -- about 20% into the novel -- close book, hit delete.

If you are going to quote occurances at the Quebec transmission failure -- save your fingers. The crash occurred at the line intertie station when horribly obsolete solid state hydraulic auto relay closers failed to function and grid overload cascaded power station wind down to 0%

Mex, Chrysler was the first to switch to electronic ignition in all of their vehicles for the 1973 model year. General Motors and Ford retained breaker point ignition until the end of the 1974 production run
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to date a girl named Joule. She had some fine measurements.
Puma 30RKSS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Final (avoiding the cranky invalid ID)

ATM and POS systems are NOT adequately protected. They "Should Be" fiber optic. The entire financial system in the USA should be fiber optic but it isn't. This to me is hypercritical. Stupid ignorance shuttles this into a closet.

Tens of people drop dead when their pacemakers quit. I suggest you talk with Boston Scientific for facts and they will be quick to debunk this myth.

Carrington AT&T wagonloads of telegraph wire sat wrapped in flammable oilcloth surviving without so much as a char. The entire system withstood inductance without damage.

Don't misinterpret this. A CME can be severe enough to rip earth's atmosphere away leaving us with far fewer problems and and no EMP authors

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Let's do a followup shall we? I have ground through a dozen or so of these novels and NONE (0) recollect the year automobiles transited from points and condenser to electronic ignition changeover -- some were ten years + in error.

In a majority of cases, a saving grace was amateur radio HAM operators creating information networks. You know HAM don't you? The people with 50' antennas. Yet wristwatches stopped, all power grids went down and EMP seemed to grow in intensity to the point where it defeats shunt reclosers, you know the devices that shut down power for a few seconds when a million volt lightning strike contacts power transmission lines.

The final straw to my reading occurred a week or so ago when amidst all the other preposterous allegations, a pilot in a seaplane that somehow survived a CME could not clear 10,000 feet altitude because of lack of oxygen. Everyone would lose consciousness and pass out and the plane would crash -- about 20% into the novel -- close book, hit delete.

If you are going to quote occurances at the Quebec transmission failure -- save your fingers. The crash occurred at the line intertie station when horribly obsolete solid state hydraulic auto relay closers failed to function and grid overload cascaded power station wind down to 0%

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
This is a real joul of a tech conversation

As long as it doesn't endanger the family jouls.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
pfidahospud wrote:
Or 200 to 360 joules โ€” the amount of energy supplied with external defibrillation (AED). Shocking, isnโ€™t it? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Absolutely revolting, but I find this discussion electrifying.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Oooooo I was actually involved in a college class project involving the Starfish Prime phenomenon, Hawaii.

The MIS-conclusion of evidence came about because the MERCURY VAPOR street lamps use high voltage transformers and those street lamp ballast boxes were badly sealed. High humidity high temperature salt laden air.

With my own eyeballs I examined one of the ballasts. It was a ruin of corrosion including rust drippings onto transformers, green electrical terminations and finally constant failures according to the Honolulu city maintenance records.

Microwave and radio communications were interrupted but to a lesser degree today's communications are interrupted by extraterrestrial solar flares.

My doctorate was planned around the creation of a holographic projection of an electromagnetic field. To an intensity of many x factors as measured in Teslas.

Teslas are the measurement used in MRI full body scans. How strong? A Brazilian janitor was killed when he walked into an unoccupied MRI room in Sao Paulo Brazil with a 20 lb fire extinguisher. The machine was on and it magnetized the fire extinguisher and pulled him 3 meters across the floor and then crushed the extinguisher against his crest preventing him from breathing. This is to the tens more power EMF than the Carrington Event. And guess what I brought a cheap watch into the the MRI room which is heavily shielded and laid it on a water basket. A five dollar watch. When my spine was finished I picked up a perfectly fine LCD watch and slipped it onto my wrist.

Never rely on politically charged recollections of historical events.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not exactly look up Starfish Prime for the EMP event and the Carrington Event for CME. Both very real. There are persistent reports of a small military EMP device that could take out a city block or two. And we dodged another Carrington size event in 2012 when the CME missed the Earth. So I'm not sure why you think these are fictional, lack of historical knowledge I suppose.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The e book universe are rife with doomsday scenarios of atomic EMP and mass coronal ejection end-of-life-as-we-know-it calamities.

The younger generation of authors is either ignorant as hell or they are predatory toward an obviously undereducated reading audience.

Science Fiction without much Science. I guess that's a lot like Historical Fiction.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The e book universe are rife with doomsday scenarios of atomic EMP and mass coronal ejection end-of-life-as-we-know-it calamities.

The younger generation of authors is either ignorant as hell or they are predatory toward an obviously undereducated reading audience.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is a real joul of a tech conversation

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
That sure jouled things up.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back