Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC noise. Should it be like that?

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

I recently purchased a camper trailer, and after connecting it to the electrical grid for the first time, I tried turning on the air conditioner. To my surprise, I heard a fairly loud noise (I've attached a video for reference). I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out the cause of this noise. Is it normal for the air conditioner to make such a sound? Could it be due to the cold weather outside? (It was 5 degrees Celsius, or 41 degrees Fahrenheit). Is it possible that there is not enough antifreeze? What do you suggest I should do?

The air conditioner itself is relatively inexpensive, costing only $200, but I don't want to waste my money if there is a simple solution. I'd appreciate any advice or insights you might have!

https://youtu.be/vk9Lp2A_Zzk
11 REPLIES 11

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
That hum is definitely a locked compressor. It would sound the same if it was running and you turned it off and right back on without waiting a few minutes. It may work when it gets warmed up. Then again, it might not.
As for access, it looks like it was put in from the rear since the flange is behind the cabinetry. Look for accessible screws to remove a panel nearby, behind it, beside it or below it. Unless that whole front panel is removable...
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is still humming...
The new one cost CAD $229.00 (Danby 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner) in the Home Depot. So I am considering buying a new one, but another tricky question is how to unmount the current. I've looked around today, and I have no idea how they mounted it at the factory. Everything is hidden inside the cabinet

MrWizard
That is compressor hum, if your lucky the a/c unit needs a new start-run capacitor about $20, or the compressor is bad,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
neu,

Is it still humming?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

neu
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
n the video you can see that he has a Danby residential through the wall A/C unit. You can pick them up for $2oo at WalMart. If the motor is humming and the fan is not turning, the shaft is indeed tight. the screwdriver trick may work. You will probably have to pull the unit out to try it. If you can see the motor, try putting a very small drop of light weight oil on the bearing.

It seems that the fan is indeed spinning. I can feel the airflow and the change in blowing force when I switch between modes.
There must be some other issue. Perhaps the bearing is dying or compressor issue

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
n the video you can see that he has a Danby residential through the wall A/C unit. You can pick them up for $2oo at WalMart. If the motor is humming and the fan is not turning, the shaft is indeed tight. the screwdriver trick may work. You will probably have to pull the unit out to try it. If you can see the motor, try putting a very small drop of light weight oil on the bearing.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

MrWizard
There is no RV A/C that is $200 try $700 plus,
Yes they are noisy it will not get quieter , the fan running will change pitch of the sound not lower the volume, there is a very loud hum if the compressor does not start,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

neu
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Frozen shaft on a motor.. As someone said the blower/fan.. You might try turning the blades by hand and see if that helps free it or open the case and see if there is something blocking it. But it's looking like "new" is in order.

Thank you!
I can't see any fan blades. It seems like they are hidden inside. I also tried to pull the air conditioner out of the "cabinet," but it is securely fixed. I can't figure out how to remove it in case of replacement.
I will wait for warmer days. Maybe this issue will resolve itself, otherwise, I will have to figure out how to remove it from its mountings.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frozen shaft on a motor.. As someone said the blower/fan.. You might try turning the blades by hand and see if that helps free it or open the case and see if there is something blocking it. But it's looking like "new" is in order.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

neu
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
neu wrote:
Hi there,

I recently purchased a camper trailer, and after connecting it to the electrical grid for the first time, I tried turning on the air conditioner. To my surprise, I heard a fairly loud noise (I've attached a video for reference). I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out the cause of this noise. Is it normal for the air conditioner to make such a sound? Could it be due to the cold weather outside? (It was 5 degrees Celsius, or 41 degrees Fahrenheit). Is it possible that there is not enough antifreeze? What do you suggest I should do?

The air conditioner itself is relatively inexpensive, costing only $200, but I don't want to waste my money if there is a simple solution. I'd appreciate any advice or insights you might have!

Welcome to the forums.

The fan is not turning. The air conditioner is not intended to be used at temperatures that low.

If you can see the fan you might try to move it with a long blade screw driver, with the power on.

My roof air seems to seize up a bit over the winter so on the first time I use it I often have to give it a little push.

Thank you!!
I will be tomorrow near my trailer and will try to take a look inside. I am not sure if this make sense because it's still cold outside. But anyway I will check and give the update

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
neu wrote:
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

The fan is not turning. The air conditioner is not intended to be used at temperatures that low.

If you can see the fan you might try to move it with a long blade screw driver, with the power on.

My roof air seems to seize up a bit over the winter so on the first time I use it I often have to give it a little push.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.