cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding some Li Ion batteries to my AGM in parallel

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I figured BFL13 would be able to provide me with a "how to" mix battery chemistries.
22 REPLIES 22

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I guess it's a really bad idea to mix battery chemistry's. Even AGM and flooded Lead Acid batteries. Mix and match is bad Juju.

This is the battery I bought for the QRP ham radio for power. LiPO

And today, I just flat out ordered this charger, which equalize charges each cell individually, every time,

4S charger

Already have a 120V inverter that can handle the charger plug in. Was hoping there was another way, but I guess this is the best way for what I have.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm late to the party, sorry for trying to help.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MrWizard
If it's April 1st, where is the spring weather
Did I sleep ALL winter, what happen to Feb and March
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
There's a dirty old man down in Mexico right now, choking from laughter on this thread. I can feel it, 1500 km's away.

Speaking of MW, where has he been. :h It's just too quiet on here.

We'll be driving up that way in a couple of weeks. Yes, again (different jeep though) :B

Maybe I should drop in and surprise him.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Niner, can you post a link to the lithium batteries you're using? are they a "naked" battery back, or are they retrofit modules with a built in BMS / charge controller?

Just an off the cuff observation, but I don't think you'll have trouble charging a lithium pack as if it were an agm. Likely the agm charge voltage isn't high enough to fully charge the lithium, but that doesn't matter to a lithium.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
grizzzman wrote:
There are dc to dc "chemistry" modules that would separate the charging voltages. So...... it could be done and other methods as well.

Here is a link to a Chemistry module
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
You could do it, but if you're asking if it can be done you're probably not up to building the electronics you'd need to be successful. I haven't really looked, but doubt you'd find plug and play type control circuits.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm recovering from the Blue Marlin Fishing down at the Yacht Club down in Quartzsite, AZ.

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
There are dc to dc "chemistry" modules that would separate the charging voltages. So...... it could be done and other methods as well.
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
He's pulling our chains.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I feed my TS-2000 off the house main 12 volt panel less than six feet away... No problems. Does not care if running on over 500 AH of lead acid battery or 80 amps of Progressive Dynamics or both.. It just puts out 100 watts. (Peak)on most bands.. Bit less on VHF/UHF by choice (Pressed POWER and turned know anti-clockwise then pressed POWER again choice).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
So why not just split bank?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
There's a dirty old man down in Mexico right now, choking from laughter on this thread. I can feel it, 1500 km's away.