cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AF truck camper owners has anyone install an inverter?

Buppa
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know, and specifically on the AF 1150 where did you install an inverter? I have a 2018 AF 1150 on order and have not seen the size of the step up storage going to the cab over but thinking I could install a 1500 watt inverter there. Any suggestion, tips?

โš Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Buppa
5 REPLIES 5

Buppa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for taken the time to share, it confirm what I was thinking about doing.
Buppa

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Buppa wrote:
Ok thanks, the battery box is right inline with that step area on the out side wall about 4' +or-. I thought I would need to use 1/0 awg wire.

What I would do is go to a TSC (Tractor Supply Store) and get the necessary length of bulk welding cable (they sell it by the foot) and they also sell the crimp on solid copper lugs and make up your feed cables from those available parts. What I did and it was quick and easy. I also added a second battery, built a custom vented battery box (I run flooded cell deep cycle house batteries) and wired them in parallel with the same welding cable and lugs. I own a crimp tool but you can to the physical crimps in a vise if you do it carefully.

I also removed the insulation from the cable ends (welding cable has high temperature neoprene insulation, (much better than the plastic stuff that comes on ordinary wire) and tinned the ends of the stranded wire before I inserted them in the crimp lugs and physically crimped them.

How I did it and I've had zero issues in 2 years.

The inverter needs cooling air (mine had 2 fans built in) but the space under the step on my unit also houses the FW rank which is cold to begin with so ir;s always cool in the anyway. My fans rarely come on. They are thermostatically controlled by the inverter itself. Casr temp has to rise above 100 degrees before they come on anyway.

I hardwired mine to a labelled plug above the galley counter, labelled 'Inverter Only'. It's for out CPAP machines and the Kerug coffee maker.

The inverter I bought (Aims Power 2000 watt PSW) has a remote switching feature so I mounted the remote on-off switch by the outlet as well. That way I can turn it off when not needed. PSW inverters all draw idle current amps even when not in use unless deactivated.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your install.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Buppa wrote:
Ok thanks, the battery box is right inline with that step area on the out side wall about 4' +or-. I thought I would need to use 1/0 awg wire.

What I would do is go to a TSC (Tractor Supply Store) and get the necessary length of bulk welding cable (they sell it by the foot) and they also sell the crimp on solid copper lugs and make up your feed cables from those available parts. What I did and it was quick and easy. I also added a second battery, built a custom vented battery box (I run flooded cell deep cycle house batteries) and wired them in parallel with the same welding cable and lugs. I own a crimp tool but you can to the physical crimps in a vise if you do it carefully.

I also removed the insulation from the cable ends (welding cable has high temperature neoprene insulation, (much better than the plastic stuff that comes on ordinary wire) and tinned the ends of the stranded wire before I inserted them in the crimp lugs and physically cromped them.

How I did it and I've had zero issues in 2 years.

The inverter needs cooing air (mine had 2 fans built in) but the space under the step on my unit also houses the FW rank which is cold to begin with so ir;s always cool in the anyway. My fans rarely come on. They are thermostatically controlled by the inverter itself. Casr temp has to rise above 100 degrees before they come on anyway.

I hardwired mine to a labelled plug above the galley counter, labelled 'Inverter Only'. It's for out CPAP machines and the Kerug coffee maker.

The inverter I bought (Aims Power 2000 watt PSW) has a remote switching feature so I mounted the remote on-off switch by the outlet as well. That way I can turn it off when not needed. PSW inverters all draw idle current amps even when not in use unless deactivated.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your install.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Buppa
Explorer
Explorer
Buppa

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely you can. Inverters take up minimal space and if the house battery is located there, that is a plus because you want the power leads for the inverter to be as short as possible. In my TC, the inverter is right next to the battery box and the leads (welding cable with crimped on lugs are less than 18" long.)

The farther away the inverter is from the battery(s), the heavier gauge the cables must be.
2015 Backpack SS1500