cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioning Problems

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We are experiencing tripld digit/high 90s heat. Although the controls are set on 68 or so, the coach will no cool down below around 82. Any ideas on a solution?

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
15 REPLIES 15

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
cavie wrote:
leggy wrote:
Our unit is 3 yrs old and I just had an HVAC guy look at it. Domestic brand. He had to add a bunch of refrigerant. Had to add a piece to be able to do it. Much cooler now and no freezing up anymore.

Did he FIX the leak the Gas leaked out of?? If not it's gonna HAPPEN AGAIN.

What's a "bunch" of Coolant? They only hold 1 lb. Doug

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 35ft. motorhome with ducted air and we replaced a ceiling vent fan with a Atwood Air Command 13,500 BTU non-ducted Air Conditioner. We spend a lot of time in Palm Desert and the River. It makes a huge difference having both airs running.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
leggy wrote:
Our unit is 3 yrs old and I just had an HVAC guy look at it. Domestic brand. He had to add a bunch of refrigerant. Had to add a piece to be able to do it. Much cooler now and no freezing up anymore.

Did he FIX the leak the Gas leaked out of?? If not it's gonna HAPPEN AGAIN.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Is rhe rear of your unit much cooler than the front? That is normally the situation in our coach and we found out when we were in 100+ in Redding, CA that placing a 20" box fan in the doorway of the bedroom blowing towards the front pulled that cool air towards the front sufficiently for us to be comfortable -very cheap temporary fix for a temporary problem.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grey Mountain wrote:
We are experiencing tripld digit/high 90s heat. Although the controls are set on 68 or so, the coach will no cool down below around 82. Any ideas on a solution?

GM

Just two
one is shade. Frankly when the outside is high 90's with sun the Roof top A/C won't keep up

I am not suggesting more A/C cause you will hit the power limit of your site (though a small portable (Ducted) in the bedroom might help)

Tahquamenon falls State Park. Look it up. Should be cooler there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
I have seen perfectly good roof air replaced because the evaporator was plugged with crud.

Google cleaning RV roof air evaporator or coils.

OK. Thanks.

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen perfectly good roof air replaced because the evaporator was plugged with crud.

Google cleaning RV roof air evaporator or coils.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information. Not a technician, so may leave all that for the fixit shop when we get home. We are in Gretna, Nebraska for a week, temps expected to be in the 80s, so I may not have a continuing problem.

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

leggy
Explorer
Explorer

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
To help with the cooling I went and made Styrofoam inserts for all of the roof vents. There is a lot of sunlight and heat that comes through those exhaust vents. That seemed to help a lot. Also get some type of reflective material and put in the windshield. That windshield is like a heat producing machine. Like said before about the 20deg. difference is true. However if you feel the need to get up and clean off the condenser fins. Be carefully not to bend the fins, use good but not strong water pressure and a very soft brush. If you have a lot of bent fins that need to be straighten go to a plumbing supply shop and ask for a "fin comb" its a tool made to straighten the fins.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have 30' with just two slides, and in the temps now, both are running during the day. In a shady CG last weekend, Outside in the 90+ range, we did very well with only one AC most of the time. Most RV units have no provision for adding gas, some techs can do it, some say it can't be done. But you should get about 20 degrees drop from either unit. I leave topside vents open most of the time, so hottest air can escape, and small fans front and back to circulate air better through the coach.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Two ACs. We are in a 39' pusher with 3 slides. In complete shade for the next 8 days. Dirty condenser? Where is the condenser? Assume it is on the unit on the roof. If I take the covering off, will I be able to see anything obvious?
As to low on coolant, have to wait until we get back home and get it into the shop.

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Find a shady place. What you have is about it, but do check the in and out temps. Do you have one or two ACs??
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
the walls of a rv are not very thick some have no insolation , .