cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any old Dodge mechanics online here

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old dodge 1 ton with duel rear axle.The front axle is a 3,300 lb rating. According to the parts list for that year the disk and hub was #4037876. All other versions used a single axle and different disk and hub #4037875.

What was the difference,larger in diameter and bigger offset on the caliper. If the Mounts and spindle are the same is it possible to use the downgraded single axle brake set up

realising that there will be a trade off in braking efficiency.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user
18 REPLIES 18

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an idea for you that I was given by the parts department at one place.
The Model number of F30 they presume that the F3 denotes the MB300 chassis the next digit 0 denotes from the available stock. As the last run was in 74 that is the probable year of manufacture. 1974 parts are probably the same. Checking it out more online if I can. Hopefully I have Photos and measurements this weekend.
Does this sound as logical to you guys as it does to me.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Only thing that I found that is confusing is that the front axle weight according to the tag says 3300lb front axle weight and the registration says its a 1978. but both VIN numbers say 79.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
thank you kind sirs.
I have come across so many of these old dodge motor homes in this area I was thinking before it became ford country it belonged to dodge.
The VIN on the door tag (black and white) the year on that says 9 in the 6th digit of the VIN.the Wickes number matches. The door says its a model F30 I have pictures but cant get anything down to size anymore.
I just don't seem to get the hang of reducing things for the net.

In the past month I have found three of the same era all dodges on Kijiji in the same area. All the hunters must be upgrading at the same time.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

MrWizard
Old timer Dave wrote:
I thank you Mr Wizard for the clarification.
That is basically what I thought it was but I would have thought that a 1 ton van would have been build on a one ton truck frame.
Seems a bit illogical to have the thing on a uni-body thing. Especially if they are being modified to that extent.

Very true, but this was not mfg and sold as a complete truck

Parts stores looking for one ton that old won't be thinking of something like an RV, when you tell them it's a Dodge sportsman
And Dodge sportsman Van won't list parts that fit your vehicle
Although the front wheels might be the same parts, the suspension and brakes must be heavier for the increased weight of the RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
Yes that is a dually,

Regarding chassis running gear, Always go by the "incomplete vehicle" Chassis year on the vin plate
Not the RV model year, they are often different , the coach builders order incomplete vehicles aka bare chassis to build the RV on,
When looking for parts you want parts for 197x dodge chassis with (chassis VIN xxxxx)
You can find a site on line. That will show you how to.decode the chassis vin# for specific details
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I thought my Dodge was old ??
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I thank you Mr Wizard for the clarification.
That is basically what I thought it was but I would have thought that a 1 ton van would have been build on a one ton truck frame.
Seems a bit illogical to have the thing on a uni-body thing. Especially if they are being modified to that extent.

If I had gone for a crawl under the thing I would have known. But since my health deteriorated if i have volunteers i utilize them.

Napa may be able to check the dimensions of everything and see if the B300 will fit as I came across a reference that they did.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

MrWizard
Yes that is a dually,
And that is a Class C RV Motorhome,if the front rims are not the same as the rear rims, what you want to do, cannot be done, the issue was confused when you called the RV a one ton truck

It is a Class C RV, on a 1978 Dodge chassis

Regarding chassis running gear, Always go by the Chassis year on the vin plate
Not the RV model year, they are often different , the coach builders order incomplete vehicles aka bare chassis to build the RV on,
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help you guys.
It is actually a 1978 dodge sportsman, don't know if it was a cut cab or cab and chassis. But started out as a van design.
The rear single axle with two wheels each side one inverted and covering the brake drum the other fitted the normal way around. That's my idea of a duely.
Most parts places on the internet have drawn a blank. But I did eventual get a reply from Napa with a list of parts. Now the daring question do they have them or can get them.
The rig is old but low mileage. The motor is a 360 4bl carb, A727 transmission and 4.10 rear end. If i've done my research correctly.
B300 series are supposed to fit according to the grape vine.
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Bs are vans
Ds are 2 wheel drive pickups
Ws are 4 wheel drive pickups.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MrWizard
Isn't the B series 'vans'
Other trucks are the D or W series
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The spindle and ball joints may be different as well and may not allow the single wheel hub and rotor to be mounted. Keep looking for the right parts, they are out there somewhere.
Puma 30RKSS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Memories.

8.00 x 19.5" tires.

440 engine
A727 trans

One of the most stable towing platforms on the road

And best friends with a gasoline dispenser.

MrWizard
Old timer Dave
Do you mean Dually tires ( I think you do ) on the rear
Or
Dual = two rear axles
A third rear axle is called a tandem axle

My first motorhome was on a 72 Dodge chassis, 17" tires on all 6 wheels, front and back where the same wheel and tire,
Not positive but it might of had a Bendix design braking,, drums, shoes, and brake cylinders
I think it was a D300 chassis

Do your rear brakes have one brake cylinder at top of mounting plate
Or
Two cylinders ,
one at bottom and one at top

For each of the rear drums
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s