cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood helium refrigerator

KimiP_
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I am new to this forum, but I am so lost when it comes to this stuff. I thought maybe I could find some help here. I have a 2015 keystone hideout. With the Atwood Helium refrigerator. We used our fridge just fine the last time we went camping. Then we bought a new battery for the trailer. Now our refrigerator when we power it on has all lights on power, gas, ac. When we push mode to select one it does nothing. All the lights just stay on. We checked fuses (all fine) we thought it might be the control pannel. So I went to buy the part and the Atwood helium fridge is obsolete. And so are the parts (discontinued in 2016) ??????? so I am turning here for some help because last thing I want to do is buy a new fridge just to find out it was a simple fix. Any ideas on what to do?
6 REPLIES 6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
CapnCampn wrote:
Yep, whoever decided that trailer wiring should be Black Positive, White negative needed to get a good noogie!

Everybody knows that Red is Pos, Black is Neg for DC! ๐Ÿ˜„

CC

FOR AUTOMOBILES!.. Winnebago for 60 years has made GREEN negative and BLACK positive. White and Green is RV industry standard for Negative battery connections. 40 years ago Winnebago had the bright idea of installing Diehard batteries for Coach batteries. The reason was, back then there were thousands of Sears Auto centers that could warranty defective batteries. It lasted about 2 to 3 years. Sears part changers would connect the positive BLACK cable to the new battery Negative and the GREEN Negative to the Positive of the replaced batteries. After scores of burnt up Winne DC wiring, (which Sears had to pay for) Sears sent out a bulletin to its service centers that they would only pull and install batteries AFTER they were disconnected by the customer. Customers were responsible for reconnecting all cables. Doug

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, whoever decided that trailer wiring should be Black Positive, White negative needed to get a good noogie!

Everybody knows that Red is Pos, Black is Neg for DC! ๐Ÿ˜„

CC

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
It's a bit of a shot to our ego but I've learned to always check the last thing I touched before doing anything else.
If you did connect backwards, your converters reverse polarity fuses will be blown too.

Very good. It seems a LOT of complaints occur AFTER the RV'er has changed the batteries. So, as you stated, go back to what you last did and check the battery connections. Also, IF it turns out the batteries ARE connected correctly, disconnect 12 volt power to the refer or just disconnect the battery negative cable and make sure the unit is NOT plugged into 120 shore power for 30 minutes. That may reset the Refer control logic and it will start working.Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's a bit of a shot to our ego but I've learned to always check the last thing I touched before doing anything else.
If you did connect backwards, your converters reverse polarity fuses will be blown too.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. The signal in the post is the phrase "we bought a new battery for the trailer." I also will bet that the battery cables were attached backward.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
# 1 check your battery connections. 99 percent of the problems we see when an issue occurs after a battery change is the battery wires are hooked up backward.

Follow the negative wires from the battery terminal. They are most likely white and should go to a bolt on the frame. If there is a fuse on the wire it is a positive wire (usually black or red)
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup