cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Generator Start

kodiak_308
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Bighorn with a factory installed Onan 5500 genset. I am looking for a simple plug and play solution to start the generator in the event of a shore power failure. I do not need to maintain batteries as we never boon dock but simply want to keep the A/C running for our pets and the fridge. Seems like this would be simple but I have not been able to get very far in my search. Supposedly Onan has or had a system but it has been discontinued and not yet replaced. Surprisingly the various Onan service centers I have spoken with don't have a clue what I'm talking about. My local Camping World is anything but helpful. All information would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
I added a magnum auto start stand alone to my RV. It wasn't hard.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Washoe Medical Center had a six hundred thousand dollar auto-gen start system in the 1970s. The result? One Caterpillar V12 engine plus now scrap metal KATO generator formerly inside now outside the building.

Construction of a SAFE long-lasting auto-start is a work of art.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with the MarCell and other warning systems is the assumption you have cell phone service and wifi. We find we are without many times during a trip or are off hiking in the wilds. The EC30 and the Magnum turn on the generator if there is a power failure, this is assumming you are running your AC initially.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have MarCell Temperature Alert for our dog. It let you know right away if you lost power and if the temperature is out of range.. You get messages, email and phone call alerts from your smart phone. Video
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Normally RV mfg. install the EC30 with the generator. I understand it is a difficult component to do as an add-on but Magnum has an autostart also. You might want to look into that if needed.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an EC30 controller in your rig? This would be where you start and stop the generator. If you do you can program that to do what you want.