cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning replacement fabric adventure...oy

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I read up, I watched the videos. I was ready to go. Cotter pin, right end -- annnnnnd....*go*!

Yeah...

Realized I had a different design so the cotter pin needed to go in sideways -- ok, no problem. Right before starting I realized the youtube video I was watching had a sister video by the same people for manual dometic/AE awnings. Perfect. This one told me to put the pin in the left side of the awning. (I suspect that larger awnings (or is it manual awnings) have two springs. Can anyone confirm that? Ok, yes that's right, they do) Oh...Ok. Got the pin in there just fine. Went to pull up on the ends the roll it down and the spring mechanism -- on the RIGHT -- violently unspools itself. I know...I'm lucky I didn't get hurt. I was holding it by the tube and when I lifted it out it unwound. The video I watched (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnxDLPDoVCc&t=302s) said to pin only the left spring, then *roll it down*, then release the tension from the right spring but the right spring unspooled itself the second I lifted the top casting out of the holder. I could have really been hurt. (It's *possible* that I had it set on the "roll down" setting rather than the "roll up" setting.)

So I rolled it down, removed it. Cleaned all the parts, put the metal guard on the new awning fabric. But I need to know how many tension turns are needed for an 18' A&E 9000 awning. Found it -- 12 full rotations for the 9000. If anyone needs this rotations for different lengths chart for future reference: page 6 http://www.rvrepairmanual.com/manuals/awning_replacement_instructions.pdf

So tomorrow I need to keep the pin in the left spring, rehang it, replace the bracket, replace the tube, replace the rivets, retension the right side with it set in the "roll down" setting (is that what holds the tension tight?) pulling toward me, then roll the awning back up and replace it in it's holder on both ends. Bolt them back in then remove the pin on the left side. Yes? ๐Ÿ˜•

I answered most of my own questions but the links here are really helpful for anyone doing the job in the future...
17 REPLIES 17

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
The final result. This is Shade Pro's hunter green for dometic/A&E awnings with a metal guard. Any idea why it's a bit puckered? I haven't put the set screws in back yet. Maybe a tug on each end will resolve that before replacing those.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
how much is the material? I have a feeling I will need new material as well.

Acrylic will cost you $250-375 for one of their stock colors. But it will last a lot longer.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We had ours replaced two years ago with acrylic at the advice of our RV tech. Acrylic is breathable and durable, won't crack. He installed an Alumaguard on it too so now it won't get wet and mold while rolled up. Best investment we made.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, the acrylic material for a 20 foot awning is a bit more: around $400.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
Depends on the type of material, and how much you will need.

Our awning material from ShadePro was $199 for the vinyl material for our 20 foot awning. Very happy with it.

wow for once i overshot the price. I thought this stuff was 1k for some reason.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
LittleBill wrote:
Depends on the type of material, and how much you will need.

Our awning material from ShadePro was $199 for the vinyl material for our 20 foot awning. Very happy with it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
All great info . I changed out mine and it was an ok job. Gotta be real careful with the spring. I used the clamped on vise grip method to unwind it. The best advice for me so far is to specify an Acrylic fabric, not vinyl for my next one.

Thanks Mr. Wizzard !!

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I had to do more research...hired someone for the 2nd day for $60 for 2 hours. I like learning how to do things. Then I'm all set to do it again or to help someone else to save some money replacing theirs. We got it installed. Discovered that the problem with mine was that there was a tiny (less than 1/8") chip out of the corner of the up/down awning lever. It's been missing since I bought the rig 14 years ago so I never missed it. I was still able to take the awning up and down. There is a tiny tiny piece of metal that that lever catches on (which tore that tiny piece off my level at some point before I bought the rig) that causes it to click. So because that was gone the spring sprang when I lifted it out of the pocket at the top of the arm. So inspect that lever and if it's hard to lift one end out -- check to make sure that lever is in the correct position. Or use a 2nd cotter pin for good measure.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
We need to do our carefree, I have awning patch tape on it now, which is working OK. Any comments on the new shiny plastic fabric vs the traditional fabric?

I think it only lasts 4 or so years v. 10-20 for the acrylic.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Search for "dometic your model number awning cover"
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know where to purchase the metal guard/wrap? My last RV had the metal guard and after 12 years the material was still in perfect shape. My current one (without the metal guard) is already showing signs of wear after just a few years.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

MrWizard
Imo the Acrylic fabric is the best, lighter weight doest crack, brighter colors, I've had acrylic and vynIL , I'll choose acrylic every time
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled out the awning about a foot from retracted, taped the ratchet lever so it could not get bumped, removed the upper bracket from the front so the fabric could be slid out/in the channel on the side of the trailer. Removed the lock screw that holds it in the channel, took the arms loose at the bottom and walked the fabric out of the channel, then we laid the awning arms on sawhorses, with the bottom of the arms resting on the ground, and unwrapped the fabric from the roller. Marked the roller for what went where, and fed the new one into the roller (end cap was manufactured with a notch for the fabric to pass thru, and the valance was pushed into the groove and we drilled a hole in the end cap and pushed the plastic into the groove on top of the valance. When that was done, we wrapped the fabric around the roller, leaving about the same amount hanging off the roller and then we walked the new fabric in the channel on the trailer, carrying the arms vertical like we had removed it. Snapped the arms in the lower brackets, reinstalled the upper front bracket with lots of sealer, removed the tape and pulled the awning out and then in several times to seat it. ran a screw back into the channel to hold the fabric in place and done. Never touched the springs.

A&E 8500

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.