cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Dilemma

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
After sitting for about six months, I have a battery that is probably toast.
It's a standard 12V, wet cell battery that is currently reading 6.2 VDC. My charger doesn't indicate that it is bad, but will only charge for 5 minutes or less before the thermal overload shuts it off.
I read between cells, looking for a bad cell and the difference between cells is proportional all the way across.
Any idea what went wrong?
More important - is it fixable or is it trash?
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
15 REPLIES 15

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Or hoist the remains atop a tower and start inserting electrodes.

A passing thunderstorm would also help this option ...
"It's ALIVE" :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Or hoist the remains atop a tower and start inserting electrodes.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A battery dead for five years can be compared to a human

Heart stopped beating a minute ago
Administer vigorous CPR

Heart stopped beating 5 years ago.
Gimme a break. Even spending 3 months discharged ruins a battery. Yes they will light up a test light after twelve dollars worth of electricity is dummped into it. Even massive resusitative efforts will bring a relatively recent totally discharged battery to store some power if you are looking for dependability forget it. Autopsy it and you will find plate material sulfated to the grids or even missing. Trying to nursemaid a damaged battery is like trying out freeway speeds with a tire with a boot in it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it toast: Most likely but.... Perhaps not.

I would recommend a different charger to bring it up for at least an hour someting in the 10-20 amp rannge Test hour by hour till it's up around 12 volts resting and your primary smart charger can handle it w/o shutdown.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have revived batteries been dead 5 yrs and had them give good service.
Parallel it to another battery or just let the breaker go on and off and it will take off charging in a short time
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. I guess he removed the caps and probed the water with his meter?

Exactly!
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking the same thing. I guess he removed the caps and probed the water with his meter?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
This is something I've never heard of, how do you read between the individual cells? Are you talking about a hydrometer reading or a voltage reading?

As far as the battery, I wouldn't trust it even if you can get it charged.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Trash
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
No one mentions age of battery? Shame.

A young battery has a tiny chance of recovery.

2 years old you'd have a better chance if you held a seance. I ran my car battery down to 0 and it was brand new. Back to Costco it went. With a 35 year history of no returns if you think this unethical, sue me.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV batteries tend to have drains that can't be shut off and 6 months can ruin it. That's one reason why I have a full cutoff switch on the battery post.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 30 watt solar panel and a $23 weatherproof controller from WindyNation to keep your battery charged when your TT is in storage.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Probably trash, but if you want to charge it, you will have to parallel it with a good battery.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman