cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery disconnect

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

If I use the battery disconnect on my TT and have the unit unplugged will the solar panel still keep my battery charged?

4 REPLIES 4

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

try it on a sunny day and see.  turn your battery disconect off and measue the battery voltage and see what it is, if it is upover 13V then your solar is charging it, if it is 12.8 (assuming normal flooded lead asid battery) or lower then it isn't .

like Grit dog said, unless you post a labled picture of the wiring setup thereis no way we can tell. 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Only you can determine that. We canโ€™t tell how itโ€™s wired up by telepathy. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Most often if the solar is after market, it will charge the house bank with the battery switch in the off position.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

That's a maybe answer. My guess is yes it will keep charging when the disconnect is off. But really you are going to need to figure out if the charge from the solar is straight to the battery? Or does the charge go through the disconnect switch. If the charge goes through your disconnect then no it will not charge when disconnected.

If you have a meter you can check fairly easily. If you have and don not know haw to use it tell us the make and model of the meter and we can look it up and help you.

If you know how to use the meter then

1. Make sure the disconnect is set to disconnect the battery

2. Take a voltage reading at night when the sun is down. Make a note of the voltage (write it down or put a note in your phone)
  3. Wait until midday when the sun is high and take another voltage reading.

If the voltage went up when the sun is up then your solar is charging the battery.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup