cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware of 15/30A Hockey Puck Adaptors

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
The 15/30 Amp adaptor shown in the picture was responsible for an Open Ground/Hot Skin episode.
The picture was taken AFTER it was modified to fix the problem.
The modification was to take slip joint pliers and crimp the female ground which exposed the female electrode visible in the picture.
Note, I expected to see an electrode on each side of the female BUT only one electrode is visible.
I believe having only one electrode was the problem of not making contact in the first place.
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now I use a PUCK when It is plugged into and extension cord

But for hanging on a mounted outlet.. Dogbone. Only Dogbone.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If you should open one of those adapters you would gag when you see the connections inside. Now with a simple 120 vac soldered plug I can plug into a tight receptacle and it'll do for a night or three. With gloves I can replace a receptacle with a USA 77 cent Home Depot replacement using my electric screwdriver in under a minute. Then I can run a 5,000 BTU air conditioner from any receptacle. Cools the bedroom.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the "Made in USA" stamp with as much as China products get bashed for quality.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
It seems logical to me to spread out the two points of heat generation over a dogbone rather than concentrating them in a puck. The quality of the device naturally means a lot, too.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Best modification anyone can do with that style of adapter.......chuck it in a trash can!

Trust me, it was trashed AFTER a 2 hour drive to find a dog bone version.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Harvard,

I stuff mine with aluminum foil. So far that has improved things. I don't have any "hockey puck" ones left, but stuffing works on all female outlets. Make sure the power is off.

Harvard wrote:
The 15/30 Amp adaptor shown in the picture was responsible for an Open Ground/Hot Skin episode.
The picture was taken AFTER it was modified to fix the problem.
The modification was to take slip joint pliers and crimp the female ground which exposed the female electrode visible in the picture.
Note, I expected to see an electrode on each side of the female BUT only one electrode is visible.
I believe having only one electrode was the problem of not making contact in the first place.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best modification anyone can do with that style of adapter.......chuck it in a trash can!

Buy/use a better quality dog-bone type
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31