Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Controller / electric hydraulic brakes

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks.

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 with factory integrated brake controller - it seems to work fine with my 5ver and other electric brake trailers.

I bought a brand new deck trailer with electric hydraulic brakes and am having some issues in that I cant get the brakes to work.

I have a neighbor with a 2015 Ram 2500 with the same factory brake controller and all works as it should, press the brake and I can hear the hydraulic motor start to run.

While I was at the trailer manufacturers shop they plugged in one of those socket tester gizmos and on my blue wire (brake power) we see the LED flickering and pressing the brakes doesn't change that behavior.

I have the settings in the dash set to heavy electric over hydraulic brakes and the truck detects the trailer.

the trailer also came with one of those modules that are supposed to resolve the issues with various brake controllers - unsure what it does but given that the brakes work with my neighbors truck Im guessing its not an issue.

I do have a splice in the factory socket harness to place a second socket in the bed of the truck. Dirty connection maybe ?

Looking for some troubleshooting ideas, do any of you have a 2015 ram 3500 and wouldnt mind metering your socket and tell me what the behavior of the brake power pin looks like ?

Cheers.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission
12 REPLIES 12

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
software updates done today and no change.

$400 CDN to do 2 udates on Uconnect update and 1 brake module update.

codes stored were C1007-11 and c1007-00 stored they gave me the mileage they were stored at, Im betting these are just me working on the wiring etc.
2017 Cougar

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
into the dealer for Uconnect and brake controller software update today. Hopefully this resolves the problem.
2017 Cougar

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
MudChucker wrote:

I thought I could create load for the brake controller to see by using a headlight and paralleled it with the brake (blue) and ground (white) the light came on, the dash indicated that the trailer had been disconnected so of course no pump , did not try disconnecting the blue and attaching the light in series.

A test lamp from blue to ground is enough to fool my Prodigy controller. Maybe the factory controller is the difference.

For sure it is the difference, many comments online about it. I did find a TSB that indicates a flash to the software so will call the dealer about it.

Lspangler wrote:
Some trucks need a brake magnet wired into the system. Titan brakes and Kodiak sell a module that does the same thing. I remember reading that many 2015 and older trucks need it. My 2016 GMC did not

Linc

this is interesting, Im curious if the module installed on my trailer ss meant to do this but for some reason my controller isnt functioning properly (keeping in mind my neighbours truck has the same IBCM module in it and the brakes work as they should) I might try adding a 4 ohm 50 watt resister to the circuit just to see what happens. Perhaps I was close with the headlight but not enough load.
2017 Cougar

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
Some trucks need a brake magnet wired into the system. Titan brakes and Kodiak sell a module that does the same thing. I remember reading that many 2015 and older trucks need it. My 2016 GMC did not

Linc

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
MudChucker wrote:

I thought I could create load for the brake controller to see by using a headlight and paralleled it with the brake (blue) and ground (white) the light came on, the dash indicated that the trailer had been disconnected so of course no pump , did not try disconnecting the blue and attaching the light in series.

A test lamp from blue to ground is enough to fool my Prodigy controller. Maybe the factory controller is the difference.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Had some time today and used neighbours truck to establish normal operations.

With trailer brake module attached and truck on heavy electric brake the pump fires up, remove module it does not.

Changed to heavy electric hydraulic pump fires up.

reconnected the brake module pump fires up. I'd prefer to leave the module as I may tow with an f450 every now and then.

I realize the may be useless info as no load was attached, but voltage on all pins is within 1 volt between both trucks.

I'm going to check the splice tomorrow. Still - 15c (1 f) here and my fingers can only fumble about without gloves for an hour or so at a time before sunset.

thanks for the input so far.

Cheers.
2017 Cougar

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes check the splice. Do you get a normal reading from the in bed connector?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
MudChucker wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Can't really just meter it out. There has to be a load present so the controller thinks there's a trailer there. The meter alone wont do that.
Need to make measurements with the trailer connected.

good to know.

any other thoughts ?

An automotive test light can be connected between the blue brake wire and ground to fool the controller into thinking there's a brake load.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove the module, it is for early Ford and GM applications only. Definitly look for a bad connections where you spliced the second socket in.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
In my sifting around the internet I find many comments referring to compatibility between various controllers and hydraulic brakes.

I understand the obvious difference between the 2 systems, but what is so different that some controllers wont work with electric / hydraulic ?
2017 Cougar

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Can't really just meter it out. There has to be a load present so the controller thinks there's a trailer there. The meter alone wont do that.

good to know.

any other thoughts ?
2017 Cougar

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad