Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Leaf Spring

jhqpzjg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I have a 2015 Gulfstream (Ameri-Lite) Kingsport 198BH travel trailer with a broken leaf spring. The trailer is several hours away and I don't have a way to get measurements on the spring to find a replacement part. I have already left a message with Gulfstream, who is unfortunately experiencing 'unusually high call volume'. I haven't had much luck with finding dealers that can answer my question, either. What I need is specifics on the spring, such as length, number of leaves, etc. so that I can locate a replacement. I know the axle has a 3500 lb rating, and I have the VIN and SER# for the trailer, as well. Anyone out there have this trailer, or know of a resource for finding this info?

Thanks,

Jason
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would still upgrade on the rating but no need to go over 3500. Maybe 2500 to 3500 range.

jhqpzjg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

Thanks again for all your responses. I finally heard back from the manufacturer, who was able to provide me with the info I needed. It's a 26" 4 leaf, double eye, 2200# spring. I have a repair oriented road trip in my near future. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jason

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We needed a new spring on our Alpenlite. the spring had a wrap that was soft metal, so it was easy to bend and remove. The code stamped on it that told everything needed to order a new spring. It was something like A22 on ours.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Northern Tool they have great pricing on US Made leaf springs. Replace all the springs.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greaseable suspension kits:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Leaf_Spring_Suspension-pt-Suspension_Kits-pm-Dexter_Axle.as...

If unfamiliar, best to call and verify getting the right stuff. Otherwise it is fairly standard.

The 12 ton jacks from HF work great if needed. Nice and tall. I lifted mine with a floor jack with 2x4 wood stacked to give enough height. Not a technically hard job, just heavy line work. I did one side per weekend but mine is only 20 minutes away.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's just about as simple as you are picturing. One thing, is almost every leaf spring I've installed is a bit "too long" to just stuff the second bolt through.
Really helps to have a sleever bar, round punch or just a big phillips screwdriver to bar the spring eye into line with the mount or shackle.
Only do higher rate springs if you do all 4. Many campers are borderline overloaded before adding all the gear and stuff. If that's the case, then it's a solid recommendation. If not, then yes, too stiff of springs will just cause other difficulties.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jhqpzjg
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies. I certainly wished I had measured the spring before I left the trailer, but the circumstances didn't allow it. I do plan to replace both springs at the same time...thanks for confirming that's the right thing to do. It would be a 5 hour round trip, so I'm going to try a little harder to get measurements before I take a trip out just to measure. ๐Ÿ™‚

A couple of additional questions:

I've heard people mention replacing with springs rated for a higher weight...wouldn't this mean a stiffer spring, and hence a stiffer ride? It gets the **** rattled out of it anyway, and I'd be concerned about the additional wear that would cause.

Time2roll mentioned upgrading to a wet bolt kit. What is that? I'm all for making improvements.

I have not attempted this type of repair before, but I have no doubt I am capable. I can imagine supporting the frame in front of and behind the axle with jack stands, and then supporting the axle itself with a jack to remove the spring. Any other pointers?

Thanks again,

Jason

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I would recommend replacing both springs on that axle when you do so.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was at a Campground where a fellow member had same issue.

I have multiple jacks and other tools and we were able to remove the spring pack, take it to a spring shop and drop it off. A reasonable time later we returned, Picked it up along with a couple other parts and put the "new" spring on. (Well a leaf or 2 were new) Not the first time I've done that job.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably part US-1085 on this chart:

http://www.stengelbros.com/trailer-suspension-parts/trailer-leaf-springs/

I replaced mine with the US-1091 and it rides better than ever.

Take the chart out with you and measure. Only a couple hours right?

The real trouble will be bringing all the right tools next time out to change it yourself. Take tools on the first trip and verify you have everything. Make a list.

Good time to upgrade to a wet bolt kit with everything torn down. And of course I recommend replacing all springs at the same time.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
You TT probably came with springs rated at 3500 with a length of 25 1/4" and a width of 1 3/4". Many TT's have springs that have4 gone flat (no arch) after a few years. I recently replaced mine with item #125213 from Northern Tool. They are 4500 lb springs with the same measurements.
We recently got back from a 4000 miles trip and the TT rode much better than the flat springs that bottomed out. And no, I am not overweight. I weighed the unit before vacation and came in at a gross weight of 3385 lbs.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
A spring shop should have a solutionโ€ฆ

3 tons