cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying wire

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
i know alot of people buy wire from welding stores locally, does anyone have a nice online store they use, that has all the big wiring/ terminals for a good price?
28 REPLIES 28

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Query

GENERAL MOTORS and COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM battery cables. The tin coating GOES AWAY. I have successfully soldered CCA which would improve durability. I have a set of unsoldered COPPER cables in my trunk which I criminally neglected to solder when they were new. They will remain useless until I undo all the damage and solder the 4-gage to the cable strands + run an 8 gauge shunt from clamp gripper across to the other pad gripper (the copper pads with teeth).

Silicone is flexible but easy to cut and tear.

Hypalon (neoprene) makes a good battery cable insulation as does EDPN

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Lowes jumper cables
They are copper clad aluminum. Not the best choice for semi-permanent wiring methods.
Insulation is thermal plastic. Not good if wire starts to heat up.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:
I found an even cheaper way to get 2-gauge wire at Loweโ€™s.
They sell a set of 16 foot 2-gauge jumper cables for $25.
Iโ€™ve now bought three sets. I cut the clamps off, separate the two wires and Iโ€™ve got 32 feet of 2-gauge for 78ยข a foot.
Those cables likely use CCA wire, which is close to 4 gauge copper wire resistance-wise. Another consideration is if they're rated as SAE vs. AWG. SAE wire of the same gauge is smaller, not profoundly so, in the 5% to 10% ballpark. I personally think CCA wire in jumper cables is mainly a marketing gimmick, but I do have to admit it weighs less and costs less for the same conductivity.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I found an even cheaper way to get 2-gauge wire at Loweโ€™s.
They sell a set of 16 foot 2-gauge jumper cables for $25.
Iโ€™ve now bought three sets. I cut the clamps off, separate the two wires and Iโ€™ve got 32 feet of 2-gauge for 78ยข a foot.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Genuinedealz will cut to order. You can specify 3ft long cable #8 and 10ft #4, with or without lugs. Very convenient.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
High number multi-strand wire is more flexible.
Normally it is smaller as the conductors are more compact.
Smaller size wire can carry more amps.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
In no particular order- many (most?) of these are distributors, so quantity orders are the norm- i.e. no cut lengths. Many will cut to order though.

Waytek Wire
Dell City
Polar Wire Products
Skycraft Surplus

I should add that Skycraft has diesel locomotive cable (DLO), far better than welding cable- sizes from #10 to 646 AWG (6 sizes larger than 4/0 (!) ), with #4 being $1.28/ft, 60 foot min though ๐Ÿ˜ž
Skycraft DLO Cable
-- Chris Bryant

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try http://www.genuinedealz.com/.

Quality product, and they can install lugs/terminals for a modest fee, with shrink tubing and all.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would not use standard building wire for DC systems like thhn posted from Lowes.
Some car stereo stores have good selection of wire.

do you have a particular reason?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mitigating Factor Reality Check Moment

New Joisey might be reasonable

Rancho Cucamonga may be a horse of a different color.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No, Soundguy, I believe OP wants to send a wire!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not use standard building wire for DC systems like thhn posted from Lowes.
Some car stereo stores have good selection of wire.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
All those places are expensive... I found a battery store near me and got cable with ends made $1.40 a ft. I got an end on one side and custome cut what I bought and put my own end on the other. Crimped and soldered it.

try this guy..They are in scranton.

http://electrobattery.com/

just battery's no wire. just called them

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
You can even get 2 awg at lowes for 1.40 a ft.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-SIMpull-2-AWG-Stranded-Black-Copper-THHN-Wire-By-the-Foot/5010158...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-SIMpull-2-AWG-Stranded-Red-Copper-THHN-Wire-By-the-Foot/50201585
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh