cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a generator get rained on?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the danger of running generator in the rain...but that's not my issue...

If we are camping, and have the generator with us but are not actually using it at the time (operating on shore power), does it cause direct harm for the generator to be exposed to rain? Is it necessary to keep it under cover from rain even when not in use?

This line of question came to my mind because I've had motorcycles for years...that have wires and metal parts exposed everywhere....that I ride in the rain...and there's no particular immediate harm that results...it starts, the panel still operates, etc., even in a downpour...and it doesn't immediately turn to rusty dust

Thanks for input
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
26 REPLIES 26

reddrum
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Honda 2000 that got poured on for days, sat on the back deck of a saltwater boat for days, and sat on the beach providing A/C to a tent. It saw all kinds of weather. No issues whatsoever. Ideally I tried to keep the outlet end from getting water running down that side but that was not always possible. It lasted for over 15 years with no problems.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The manual that came with my military 15 Kw Kato head explained why everything was coated in a yellow green coating. It is a fungicide. Kato dipped the rotor and stator into a vacuum pot then baked it hard. I have seen too many failed circuit boards weathered with white powder to dismiss the coincidence. The H9000 voltage regulator circuit board has been conformal coated as well. But it's very humid at times here. I try and dry things out and keep the day tank condensation drained.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Here is what I think
The generator is better off covered up IF raining while the generator is not running and off the ground if possible, table, bench, chair, crate,,blocks of wood, anything that keeps water from pooling inside, most inverter generators do have small openings in the bottom plastic
While running there is heat and air flow, which will IMO limit and mitigate water collection, help with drying out all components

My portable champion is on a sliding tray in a forward storage compartment, when in use the compartment door provides a roof over the generator for wet weather the exhaust end is pointed out away from the RV, the intake air comes from inside the protection of the compartment, as a bonus it is above ground, I can add a tarp to this if I deem it necessary,
Not everyone has the space accessible, not everyone wants to do something like this,
It also provides easy safe lockable storage when not in use, and traveling, (yeah I know most RV compartments are not "job box" secure, neither are RV entry doors, and you do want it, stored out of sight, when away from the RV)
For me it solves weather use, and storage/ transportation and keeps it readily accessible

in the event of horrendous sideways winds during a rain storm,
Hopefully I will have already put it away,
If not, I will probably have more pressing matters to be concerned with

So, what you are saying is that you have an inside generator that stays dry? Thank you for the info. Who would have know RVs have generator mounted in a compartment where they generally stay dry? Why, then, would anyone ask about one getting wet I wonder?

MrWizard
Here is what I think
The generator is better off covered up IF raining while the generator is not running and off the ground if possible, table, bench, chair, crate,,blocks of wood, anything that keeps water from pooling inside, most inverter generators do have small openings in the bottom plastic
While running there is heat and air flow, which will IMO limit and mitigate water collection, help with drying out all components

My portable champion is on a sliding tray in a forward storage compartment, when in use the compartment door provides a roof over the generator for wet weather the exhaust end is pointed out away from the RV, the intake air comes from inside the protection of the compartment, as a bonus it is above ground, I can add a tarp to this if I deem it necessary,
Not everyone has the space accessible, not everyone wants to do something like this,
It also provides easy safe lockable storage when not in use, and traveling, (yeah I know most RV compartments are not "job box" secure, neither are RV entry doors, and you do want it, stored out of sight, when away from the RV)
For me it solves weather use, and storage/ transportation and keeps it readily accessible

in the event of horrendous sideways winds during a rain storm,
Hopefully I will have already put it away,
If not, I will probably have more pressing matters to be concerned with
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
You do need to make sure the air inlets and exhaust are clear. .
Thread isn't about running one in the rain.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
KCFDCapt wrote:
As a retired fire captain I have experience with Honda generators in wet conditions. Our light plants were based on a 1000 watt Honda generator with a flood light attached. We used them outside, inside, when ever and where ever needed. They stand in water, mud, at odd angles and get rained on. I have seen one hit with a full straight stream from a 1 3/4 nozzle and get knocked across the room. It quit running. We stood it up, fired it up and it never missed a beat. Water proof? I don't know. Fireman proof? Seems to be.

My concern would be while it is running and producing Alternating Current (AC) that there is a shock danger since during a rain the water on the ground and everywhere can conduct the electricity a distance. For Firemen this seems to not be an issue, and you guys are very aware of power line voltage transmission when wires fall...

I would not think that any of the generator coils or electronics getting we when not running would be an issue. Most/all of the critical electronics are contained and weather proof and the generator head is just copper and magnets, right, not going to melt away.
Your engine air filter is probably paper so will not like sucking in wet air.

Also, all you people with silly instructions on how to cover a generator from the rain, just STOP. Please take a break from posting on any forum if this is what you think the OP was asking. The man is asking about it getting wet, not how to put a cover over it or what will keep it dry, we are not 3 years old... wow, just wow.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I tie a rope between 2 trees and then put a tarp over the rope. Tie the tarp down and as they say "voila", you have a tent for the gennys. Just make sure the tarp is low enough on each side to protect the gennys. My 2 Hondas like their own wee apartment.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
profdant139 wrote:
We just drape a tarp over it, and anchor the tarp with rocks. I'm not sure that rain would be harmful, but I don't want to take a chance.

You do need to make sure the air inlets and exhaust are clear. Exhaust in particular could start a tarp on fire, so a tarp would need to be supported well up above the unit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired fire captain I have experience with Honda generators in wet conditions. Our light plants were based on a 1000 watt Honda generator with a flood light attached. We used them outside, inside, when ever and where ever needed. They stand in water, mud, at odd angles and get rained on. I have seen one hit with a full straight stream from a 1 3/4 nozzle and get knocked across the room. It quit running. We stood it up, fired it up and it never missed a beat. Water proof? I don't know. Fireman proof? Seems to be.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Mountain wrote:
time2roll wrote:
This is my favorite quote:

soren wrote:

I use a Honda 2000, on a daily basis as a homebuilder. It runs eight hours a day, sitting in the mud, snow or on a gravel pile. It has spent days in the pouring rain, seen a few snow storms, and got peed on by a dog. After three years, the case is banged up a bit, it needs a tune-up and an oil change. As for a rain cover......seriously? Don't forget to knit a little sweater for it too....it's chilly out.

Sounds like my pair of Honda 2000. Only difference is mine are about 15 years old. Only problem I've had is when the temps get down in the low teens and they are cold soaked over night. They are more a bit cranky especially when they have summer oil in them.

I have the same experience with my pair of Honda 2000s. The only difference is mine are only 12 years old. They have spent many weekends running in the rain.
That is a big reason I recommend a Honda over a cheap brand. I chuckle to myself over people that will spend tens of thousands on an rv, then cheap out on a generator.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:

soren wrote:

I use a Honda 2000, on a daily basis as a homebuilder. It runs eight hours a day, sitting in the mud, snow or on a gravel pile. It has spent days in the pouring rain, seen a few snow storms, and got peed on by a dog. After three years, the case is banged up a bit, it needs a tune-up and an oil change. As for a rain cover......seriously? Don't forget to knit a little sweater for it too....it's chilly out.

Sounds like my pair of Honda 2000. Only difference is mine are about 15 years old. Only problem I've had is when the temps get down in the low teens and they are cold soaked over night. They are more a bit cranky especially when they have summer oil in them.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generators come in 3 types for this
1:Open Frame "Contractors" likely should be tarped

Enclosed, be they 2: Traditional generators (Think Generac 1000) or 3:Inverter are usually more or less water resistance..

A horizontal driving rain.. Not a good thing for any device.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
If the outlets dont have any covers you could use pieces of tape. Same with the intake and exhaust if a sideways wind could blow some rain in there.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:

soren wrote:

Lol, I think I remember that post!
Personal experience: virtually the only time we use our 6kw generator at home is when the power goes out. 90% of the time the power goes out itโ€™s due to storms and the generator sits out away from the house (noise) in the weather. When camping with the little Honda, it runs in the rain too.
Professional experience: In my profession we run many generators daily for temp power during construction. All weather, rain, snow, have worked a lot in the desert as well, but 10 years in Seattle, if we didnโ€™t run gennys in the rain, our guys would have to use hand tools 6 months out of the year.
You know itโ€™s a miserable day out when someone is stationed at the genny re setting the GFI all afternoon!
Short story, it is perfectly acceptable and accepted to not only expose them to rain, but to use them in rain as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold