cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can propane leak out of switch over regulator?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I haven't been able to find a MEGR-253 at a reasonable price for the last few months. Doesn't matter though because I'm not using the RV until the winter. It won't auto-switchover.

Still checking out various systems - most recently tried fridge and it worked fine on AC. Then I was going to try propane. There wasn't any in the tanks. I'm pretty sure there was some (< 1/4 full) when I put the tanks into the RV. Haven't used any.

My question is: is there a failure mode of the regulator whereby it leaks gas from the tanks? I didn't smell any but the rig is far enough away from the house that I might not.

I know this has been asked before, but is there a substitute regulator?
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:

My question is: is there a failure mode of the regulator whereby it leaks gas from the tanks? I didn't smell any but the rig is far enough away from the house that I might not.

Short answer is yes.

Longer answer. The Regulator. The hoses. The pipes and even the TANKS can leak any connection especially the tank connections if they are not tight enough.

I've heard claims that a full tank.. TURNED OFF. was empty a "Short" time later..... Was it? I do not know as it was not my tank.. I've had tanks however that were Full when I closed the valve and far from it when I returned them to use. CLOSED valve on the tank. and I close 'em tight.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced mine because that is exactly what it did, leaked. 64 bucks for a new one. Easy job to do yourself.

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go, but only a couple left at $67.50:

Ebay Regulator
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Possible? Sure.

For whatever reason all of the RVs I have had, "leak down" propane once you turn off the tanks after a few weeks.. So I always ensure I turn off the propane tanks once I am done camping..

One would think that one should be able to turn off the propane and the propane and pressure would stay inside the lines.. Nope, always have to bleed the air out of the lines each time I turn the tanks off for a week or so.. For the record, that includes installing brand new regulator and pigtails for good measure..

I suspect that the propane can migrate through the rubber hoses plus the rubber in the regulator over time slowly enough that you cannot smell the odorant.

As far as you regulator, Try some different supplier sources..

Quick Internet search for your model I found price of $35 HERE (disclaimer, never done business with them).

THIS place lists it for $48 (never done business with them).

THIS place lists it for $66, never done business with them.

Camping World lists it for $75.. Bought a few items from them although typically over priced..

THIS place lists it for $47 , never done business with them.

The trick I see, is whether any places have them in stock, found many more online sites which say out of stock.

Why post links to online drop shippers that all note "out of stock"? If one drop shipper is out of stock they all are. They just take the order and forward it along to one or a couple of regional distributors. No one you list has actual in hand stock of anything at anytime. Even large retailers such as Etrailer, who do maintain a warehouse don't stock everything they sell physically and use the drop ship model.

The OP should just order from Amazon, who claims to have them or access to them, and when they say that they do about 99.9% of the time for $100, and have it in hand this coming Wednesday.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Unless there is a propane fueled generator I would not worry about the capacity.

X2!

I would add unless you have a on demand water heater and generator 150K BTU capacity will be more than sufficient.

RV stove 22,000 BTU for top burners, not sure what the oven BTUs are.

34,000 BTU furnace..

6 gallon tank water heater burner 10,000 BTU

All above running at the same time 66,000 BTU.. Well below the capacity of a 150,000 BTU regulator..

On demand tankless water heaters can use as much as 60,000 BTU..

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless there is a propane fueled generator I would not worry about the capacity.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Cavagna regulator looks interesting but I'm concerned that its max capacity is 160,000BTU as opposed to 225,000BTU for the MEGR-253. Mind you, the MEGR is 150,000BTU on reserve and I never had a problem with that. Is Cavagna lower capacity on reserve?

Looks like connectors are directly equivalent to the MEGR unit.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
I haven't been able to find a MEGR-253 at a reasonable price for the last few months.
Yes I guarantee the MEGR-253 can leak virtually undetected. I will also attest that the indicator is poor at best. Switchover was sporadic toward the end and never coordinated well with the indicator.

Cavagna regulator has been far better. Easier to read, switchover is solid, and no leaks in a decade.

https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-Kosan-Changeover-Regulator-Bracket/dp/B07BCK2JNM
Not sure what the price point is but worth every penny.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know the regulators used to go for $40 or so. Lots of places offer them for that price but they don't have them in stock. I was hoping the prices would have headed back in that direction by now, but no. I can afford $100 but why pay an inflated price if a lower price is available.

I must confess that I normally turn the tanks off but because I'm testing systems, I left them on. My mistake - but, when we're camping, the tanks are on - better I should discover a leak now than when I'm on the road.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Maybe find an RV graveyard and salvage one.

And trade in one used problem for another potential used one problem?

Bet one will have a hard time finding a RV graveyard selling them used for less than $100 and it be in 100% working condition (leaks and or failed switchover)..

Propane regulators isn't something one should gamble on, if you can't afford $100 for a important part which it's life's function is to prevent you from burning down your RV you shouldn't own a RV..

Not saying the price gougers are right or should getaway with gouging but there are times one should or must buy a new part.

Boats and RVs, insert money and flush..

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe find an RV graveyard and salvage one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, they can leak. The rubber diaphragm inside can age and begin to leak and that propane will go out a small vent hole on the bottom of the regulator.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
What's a reasonable price?

Yeah, I thought about asking that, but all you have to do is search a bit for prices.. Amazon is listing them for $100+ for a switchover regulator that should cost tops $45 :M A lot of price gouging happening now days..

Between supply chain issues, high demand, 60%- 100% price increases of fuel costs, increased labor costs one just might have to call $100 pricing of that regulator today's "new normal".

In today's market, one almost needs to jump on buying what they need when they find it, even if it means paying twice what it should have cost only a couple of yrs ago.. Otherwise one may end up paying three times the cost the next week or not able to find the part in stock anywhere..

As they say, "it is, what it is".

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Possible? Sure.

For whatever reason all of the RVs I have had, "leak down" propane once you turn off the tanks after a few weeks.. So I always ensure I turn off the propane tanks once I am done camping..

One would think that one should be able to turn off the propane and the propane and pressure would stay inside the lines.. Nope, always have to bleed the air out of the lines each time I turn the tanks off for a week or so.. For the record, that includes installing brand new regulator and pigtails for good measure..

I suspect that the propane can migrate through the rubber hoses plus the rubber in the regulator over time slowly enough that you cannot smell the odorant.

As far as you regulator, Try some different supplier sources..

Quick Internet search for your model I found price of $35 HERE (disclaimer, never done business with them).

THIS place lists it for $48 (never done business with them).

THIS place lists it for $66, never done business with them.

Camping World lists it for $75.. Bought a few items from them although typically over priced..

THIS place lists it for $47 , never done business with them.

The trick I see, is whether any places have them in stock, found many more online sites which say out of stock.