cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you retreat gas with stabil to extend protection?

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
We usually spend the summers in Michigan and upon returning to Florida in the fall I fill the tank up (75 gallons) and treat the gas with stabil and it is good until the late Spring when it is time to travel. This year due the pandemic we cancelled our plans to travel North and I am concerned that the gas is reaching the 12 month protection limit stated on the bottle and would like to know if there is any proven ways to safely extend the fuel protection for another 12 months?
Thanks

Motor City Swagman 2000 Bounder 36S
Ford V-10, Banks Power Pack w/ TC,
BrakeBuddy,Davis Tru Trac,Safe T Plus,Aventa II & Xplorer Sport Trac

:W
14 REPLIES 14

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Motor City Swagman wrote:
We usually spend the summers in Michigan and upon returning to Florida in the fall I fill the tank up (75 gallons) and treat the gas with stabil and it is good until the late Spring when it is time to travel. This year due the pandemic we cancelled our plans to travel North and I am concerned that the gas is reaching the 12 month protection limit stated on the bottle and would like to know if there is any proven ways to safely extend the fuel protection for another 12 months?
Thanks

From the Stabil FAQ:

I HAVE SOME GAS IN A TANK THAT HAS BEEN THERE MORE THAN 2 MONTHS. WILL STA-BILยฎ FUEL STABILIZER MAKE THIS OLD GAS LIKE NEW?
No, STA-BILยฎFuel Stabilizer will not restore or improve old gasoline. It will, however, stop it from degrading further. The best thing to do is treat the fuel with STA-BILยฎ brand as soon as you buy it.
Depending on the quality, type and source of the gasoline, as well as storage conditions, doubling the dosage rate of STA-BILยฎ brand could prolong this storage time to up to 2 years. However, any gasoline stored for more than 12 months will tend to lose volatility (ignitability), which could lead to hard starting or no start conditions after this long storage period. NO additive, STA-BILยฎ brand included, will prevent volatility loss in fuel. To reduce fuel volatility loss during storage, we recommend filling your tank at least 95% full with fresh fuel and STA-BILยฎ brand, and store in cool conditions away from direct sunlight if possible.

Stabil FAQ
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Another recommendation for StarTron. It was recommended to me over Stabil by someone working on my pontoon outboard years ago. I've used it on the boat motors and for my small gas engines that sit for a long time since. I also make sure to use non-oxygenated gas in these.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I am in FL and have easy access to non ethanol fuel. When traveling I have found the pure gas type sites to find non ethanol fuel horribly unreliable. I would guess one out of three places I went to did not have the non ethanol fuel.

Do not know if it was bad luck on my part or common?? So having too much time on my hands. I looked at the site and they show the station on Old Bayshore Road near me having non ethanol. I have been in that station 100 times and they do not have non ethanol, unless they put it in recently!

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
The green stabil bottle says only good for 1 year, but the pink stabil bottle says 2 years.

I am in your situation. Due to health issues I have not used my RV since Aug, 2019. I put the green stabil in then. I did drive it to the gas station in Sept, 2020 to top it off and added 6 gallons to a 35 gallon tank with the last of the stabil. I had run the engine a few times in my drive.

I did buy a bottle of the 2 year pink stabil, but decided not to add it.

I hope to drive in April, 2021.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Personal opion but perfer StarTron a ton over Stabil. To your question, no I would not retreat the same gas

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip the ethanol fuel for storage.

Pure Gas Site

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been using Stabil for 10 years when we park 5-6 months at a time. Have never had a problem. Would rather do this then have everything all gummed up from the ethenol. Much more expensive to fix if it happens.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I never treat gas in any vehicle and it's always fine without it.

X-2

Dusty

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know this Gas break down thing is complex and can not answer your question but I do have a couple of observations from my Time in Georgia.

First: I blew an engine (Well it got road killed so insurance covered, NOT my fault)

I was down 3 years. Seafoamed the tank but got a visit from a Gent named Matthew. and Matthew was no Gentelman. (he was a Hurricane) I was 3 miles out of the Mandatory evac area so I was without power for a while.. Ran Mr. Onan's contribution to my comfort and thus had to replace most of the gas during the course of the visit. Also had a few other reasons to run the ONAN. No fuel issues with either the ONAN or the Main engine when it was repalced.

While there there was anothe rig that had been parked.. Well it was there in 2011 when I first visited and again in 2014 (had not moved) and still in 2016 possibly 17 (when I left) but before I left the Owner ask me to assist in moving it to storage.. We put in a new chassis battery (old one was beyond hope) (Same for house) Got the slides in (Took 3 people and the converter. one pushed buttons Two pushed slide) Got the jacks up (one did not want to so I put a jack under it and hit the release valve) and then we fired that sucker up.

Ran like the day it was new.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Yup if possible call the gas station and ask if their gasoline contains ethonal.

Guessing it's a fuel injected vehicle? That helps slightly in terms of dealing with old gas.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly recommend using non ethanol fuel for any vehicle that's dormant for that long.
Stabil can not fight the effects of corn fuel for that duration.

Ahhh beat me to it.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents: Try to fill with non-ethanol fuel for winter/storage. Non-ethanol fuel does not deteriorate as quickly as ethanol -- and does not attract the moisture. Use that, and Stabil for solid protection. Yes, costs a buck more per gal, but IMHO worth it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I never treat gas in any vehicle and it's always fine without it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I think it says on the bottle that if you double the dose it is good for 2 years.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie