cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chaffed & leaking fuel lines in your motor coach? beware!

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 1998 Monaco Dynasty 40 ft rig that we really love with a big Cummins engine but today driving down the freeway we smelled diesel fuel again and suspected another fuel line split which was spraying fuel on the engine, which is indeed what happened we coasted into a Lowe's travel stop in Clinton, OK.
This being the third time I knew what to expect. we didn't even call Good Sam because if you have a fuel, Good Sam will not respond they will tell you to call the fire department and 911. I thought it was lucky we were at a Love's Travel Stop and called the on duty mechanics and when they found out it was a fuel leak they refused to touch it they don't mess with fuel systems either, so here you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a split hose and nobody to touch it. Although this may be against your better judgment, the only way to find the leak is to start the engine and look. so my wife started the engine I spotted the leak in one second, immediately had her shut down. I cut out the piece of hose that was split, and leaking and put in a 5/16 dual splined brass connection and tightened down 2 hose clamps. We started the engine no leaks now and continued our journey. Had I not had a good supply of hose repair brass connections and clamps, we would be stuck there on the Oklahoma Plains still tonight instead of in the RV Park. Our engine is a Cummins 6C8.3. Many of these fuel leaks that occur in this are on a fuel return line Cummins uses fuel to cool the engine and it's pumped back and dumped into the tank. we paid $2,500 last year to have that entire hose replaced to the front of the coach. But this leak was on an 18-in hose that went to the diesel fuel filter. I hope this helps somebody.
8 REPLIES 8

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I agree. the hoses are not a big factor. I was talking to the owner of a 2000 Monaco Dynasty the other day and told him of the fuel line replacement and I was surprised when he said he had airequippe hoses that were used in 2000 and are better hoses and he was ignoring replacing any of them. Not a good decision. I don't think they could be THAT much better for 25 years?

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I agree. the hoses are not a big factor. I was talking to the owner of a 2000 Monaco Dynasty the other day and told him of the fuel line replacement and I was surprised when he said he had airequippe hoses that were used in 2000 and are better hoses and he was ignoring replacing any of them. Not a good decision. I don't think they could be THAT much better for 25 years?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing fuel lines is NOT technical, but indeed takes time. Many of us have done it ourselves. Cost of fuel line itself is not excessive. You hire out the labor, THAT is a different story.

And, yes fuel line degradation at that age is kind of expected.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi I appreciate your response. We have been on the road all day. Clearly, you're right but it's a bitter pill to swallow and I wonder how many owners of a 25-year-old RV have replaced all fuel lines. A huge expense. Airbags are also supposed to be replaced I believe every 15 years. we did that a few years ago and that's about a four or $5,000 cost,, and very hard to get the correct part numbers many years after it's sold the part numbers are usually worn off of the airbags. We'll look at continuing to replace in stages the rest of the fuel lines but since most people don't do this, I was offering our advice on what to do in a pinch because nobody will touch a fuel leak problem. You may as well be carrying a case of dynamite on board!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't see it, must have been deleted.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must not have liked my response to this, oh well.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You need to replace ALL the fuel lines (engine, generator, supply and return).

25+ year old rubber fuel hose is an accident waiting to happen. Not only fuel LEAKS, but on the suction side of the lift pump (tank to life pump), any opening will allow AIR into the fuel system. Can easily leave you on the side of the road.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MrWizard
Good info too know thanks
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s