cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 2000 w Dual Fuel Generator

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Any Champion Generator owners out there that can answer this.. My other generator is a Yamaha 2000IS and when I wasn't going to use it for awhile, I just shut the fuel valve off and let the carburetor run dry.. With the Champion there is no fuel valve to shut off.. I was led to believe that turning off the fuel tank vent valve, the fuel would run out and shut down. I have tried that but it continues to run on and on even with the vent shut off.. I want to store it for over several months. How do you run it dry or do you?
12 REPLIES 12

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
DD716TED wrote:
MFL wrote:
Not sure of your exact model, but my Champion 2K model 100565 gas only, has a setting on control knob to run carb dry. It also has a drain, with hose out the bottom, if you'd rather empty carb that way.

Jerry

Thank you for the response.. my generator does not have the run out of fuel setting on the switch..SO I just pop the cover, and open the drain screw on the carburetor and put the drain hose is a cup to drain the machine. I thought there would be an easier way such as what you have or my Yamaha generator has..

Have some fuel line between the tank and carb?

Simple enough, add a shut off. That is what I would do.

Found HERE for $10..

You can also check to see what the tank connection size is and if it is threaded.. If threaded, they do make shutoff valves for tanks you can replace the existing fitting with.

If it's an open frame generator, this works fine.

If it's your typical inverter generator, you still have to pull panels to get to your new shut off valve...at that point, it's just as easy to drain the bowl directly which is more effective.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
DD716TED,

I simply treat the fuel with sea foam. I've been doing so for 10 years now.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Some have an electric fuel pump, just add an on/off switch to that pump.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 2 open frame generators that the carbs can be removed and dried very easily. Not just drained but removed, blow out the idle jet, etc.

I have an enclosed inverter model that is a pain to properly remove and dry the carb. I went through the process once and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. For this one I keep it full with gas treated with Sta-bil. So far so good
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DD716TED wrote:
MFL wrote:
Not sure of your exact model, but my Champion 2K model 100565 gas only, has a setting on control knob to run carb dry. It also has a drain, with hose out the bottom, if you'd rather empty carb that way.

Jerry

Thank you for the response.. my generator does not have the run out of fuel setting on the switch..SO I just pop the cover, and open the drain screw on the carburetor and put the drain hose is a cup to drain the machine. I thought there would be an easier way such as what you have or my Yamaha generator has..

Have some fuel line between the tank and carb?

Simple enough, add a shut off. That is what I would do.

Found HERE for $10..

You can also check to see what the tank connection size is and if it is threaded.. If threaded, they do make shutoff valves for tanks you can replace the existing fitting with.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The problem with shutting off the vent is it relies on creating a vacuum in the fuel tank to starve the fuel system. If the fuel tank is not absolutely rigid, it can collapse a little providing substantial amounts of fuel...as a result it may take a long time under negligible load until it sputters to a stop.

This will vary a bit depending on if it's gravity fed or fuel pump fed. If it's fuel pump fed, it will likely take longer as it can create a stronger vacuum before fuel stops feeding into the carb.

A fuel shut off valve should be just prior to the carb, so as soon as you shut it off, the carb almost immediately starts using up the remaining fuel in the fuel bowl.

For shorter term storage, on our yamaha, I do just use the fuel shut off. I do stay nearby and when it starts stumbling, I pull the choke to get a bit more fuel out.

For longer term storage (like over winter), I pull the panel and drain the bowl directly.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oh wait, you already know how to drain the carb. Sorry, that works.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pinch off the fuel line to the carb with a pair of vice grips, run it until it dies. Remove clamp
Or dump the gas out and then run it dry. Or do, whatever. This is not a difficult task.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
DD716TED wrote:

This really is the best way to drain them of gas. Even if you run them until they stop running, there is still gas left in the carb bowl to possibly gum up and clog up things at a later time. Using the carb drain will drain virtually all the gas out of the carb bowl. It isn't as convenient, but if you aren't going to use it for a few months, it really isn't that much extra time if you think about it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't speak to the 2KW model, by my 4.6KW Champion dual-fuel model doesn't have a gasoline shutoff valve.

That's pretty much my only complaint about it.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry