cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

charger side of Magnatek 7300

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have a suspicion that my charger is not putting out DC to recharge batteries in my rig. I have lights and 12 volt to accessories in trailer but batteries are dead. I am not sure how to test it even after reading several articles and watching YouTube videos. If the battery is not hooked up I get nothing coming out of the dc side of charger, I have 110 going in at the lugs on the charger, the fuses for reverse polarity and charger are both good. Is there a way with a multi tool to test output on the charger side?
Thinking about just replacing it with a Progressive Dynamics 4655 and being done with it.
2006 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 Automatic 4x4
2002 28RKD Lakota fifth wheel
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger
16'Lund w/50HP Merc tiller
A great wife who loves to travel and fish
I love to archery hunt/she joins me and cooks!
13 REPLIES 13

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just a follow up and thanks for help and suggestions. Installed the Progressive Dynamics 4600 this morning. Pretty easy install really and all seems to be working as advertised. Glad to have the situation resolved and looking forward to stronger batteries and longer battery life.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
The batteries will last much longer on the Progressive converter, as it does not cook them. I have installed two in Magnatek/Parallax panels, very easy job. On my Winnebago motorhome, the converter and fridge 120v were on the same breaker so I wirenutted both wires to a short pigtail into the breaker (originally they were both in one wire thimble). The Bigfoot trailer had the converter on its own breaker. By all means install the DC fuse panel, It requires a little wire bending and routing changes as the lugs are in slightly different locations, but you get led warning lights for each fuse to show they are blown and you get a button to control the charge wizard in the converter, plus and LED to show converter status.

USE A 3/8 wrench to hold the square terminal blocks while you tighten the screws so you don't twist the terminals off the printed circuit board.

Charles

Some great information, thank you.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The batteries will last much longer on the Progressive converter, as it does not cook them. I have installed two in Magnatek/Parallax panels, very easy job. On my Winnebago motorhome, the converter and fridge 120v were on the same breaker so I wirenutted both wires to a short pigtail into the breaker (originally they were both in one wire thimble). The Bigfoot trailer had the converter on its own breaker. By all means install the DC fuse panel, It requires a little wire bending and routing changes as the lugs are in slightly different locations, but you get led warning lights for each fuse to show they are blown and you get a button to control the charge wizard in the converter, plus and LED to show converter status.

USE A 3/8 wrench to hold the square terminal blocks while you tighten the screws so you don't twist the terminals off the printed circuit board.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
are the 2,30 amp fuses at the top good?

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
Picture of overheated PC board
Because I am that kind of guy, I had to see what I could see. There is a slow blow fuse on the PC board but it tested good but I found this area of PC board had really overheated. New Progressive Dynamics 4600 on the way!
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xJKBP2iccY4JpPvx8
I have 110 at the black/white wire in lower right, nothing out. No glass fuse, checked other fuse. If I have 11o at the charger and nothing coming out I think it is done.

BFL13 wrote:
ISTR there is a 120v glass fuse on the circuit board to check too.

Check the blue wire and use the metal casing as neg to see if there is any 12v output. if the issue is in the DC panel, that will by-pass the panel for your output check.

You have to be sure the two RP fuses are both good and in tight, before giving up. Replace both and then see.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
ISTR there is a 120v glass fuse on the circuit board to check too.

Check the blue wire and use the metal casing as neg to see if there is any 12v output. if the issue is in the DC panel, that will by-pass the panel for your output check.

You have to be sure the two RP fuses are both good and in tight, before giving up. Replace both and then see.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
azbohunter wrote:
I have a suspicion that my charger is not putting out DC to recharge batteries in my rig. I have lights and 12 volt to accessories in trailer but batteries are dead. I am not sure how to test it even after reading several articles and watching YouTube videos. If the battery is not hooked up I get nothing coming out of the dc side of charger, I have 110 going in at the lugs on the charger, the fuses for reverse polarity and charger are both good. Is there a way with a multi tool to test output on the charger side?
Thinking about just replacing it with a Progressive Dynamics 4655 and being done with it.
120vac power in, check. 13.6vdc out, nope. That is the test and the converter is shot.
Yes the 4655 goes in and all is better than ever.

Thank you, 4655 ordered. Looks like easy enough replacement.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
110v does not go to any "lugs". Your 110v has a black and white wire. black goes to the bottom of one of the circuit breakers and the white goes to the neutral buss. Make sure that circuit breaker has not popped.

You should see 13.8ish at the lugs on the DC panel across the blue pos and white neg output wires from the converter. Battery connected or not.

Your 11.6 is battery voltage to the DC panel and you have no output from the converter, so if the RP fuses are ok that means no 110v in. check that circuit breaker

at the bottom right front, a black and white wires carrying 110 to the charger, I have 110 at that point. The charger is not warm and the fan does not run so I am expecting it is done.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
azbohunter wrote:
120vac power in, check. 13.6vdc out, nope. That is the test and the converter is shot.
Yes the 4655 goes in and all is better than ever.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
110v does not go to any "lugs". Your 110v has a black and white wire. black goes to the bottom of one of the circuit breakers and the white goes to the neutral buss. Make sure that circuit breaker has not popped.

You should see 13.8ish at the lugs on the DC panel across the blue pos and white neg output wires from the converter. Battery connected or not.

Your 11.6 is battery voltage to the DC panel and you have no output from the converter, so if the RP fuses are ok that means no 110v in. check that circuit breaker
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

azbohunter
Explorer
Explorer
and if I do that should I be getting around 13.5 to 14 volts on the output side?
my batteries test at 11.6 volts (2 6 volt) and volt meter show 11.6 at terminals coming out charger.
Pullrite Hitch
2006 Polaris Ranger

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Hook an uncharged battery to it and take a voltage reading.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman