cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging deep cycle batteries

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple different brands of batteries...Everstart Marine&RV and Interstate Marine/RV. Most chargers on the market allow you to select "standard, agm, or gel". Which setting is recommended?
2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21 DS
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L CTD, 4x4, quad cab
7 REPLIES 7

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
They are not a true deep cycle format, so try not to discharge them more than about 20%.

Concur !

Marine batteries are a compromise. The only readily available TRUE deep discharge batteries are 6V golf cart batteries, available at Sams or Costco.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
last I knew both everstart and interstate marine/rv batts where made by the same company, Johnson Controls Inc.

I'd recommend standard from the three suggested.

Also reccomend you disconnect them in storage and charge monthly or every other month. Better yet get 100watts of solar to keep em in good shape in storage disconnected from trailer loads.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MARING/deep cycle are Standard.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
They are flooded jars. Use the standard setting--but do track the voltage. It needs to get to 14.8 if the charger can do so.

I managed to get 9 years out of a set of "marine" jars. They are not a true deep cycle format, so try not to discharge them more than about 20%.

The ideal charger would keep the batteries just below the gassing voltage, and then at about 95% state of charge move up to one bubble per second.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, brands mean nothing.

Technology is what is important. They are wet cell, gel or AGM. Very likely wet cell.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different brands but likely the same maker. Use "standard" or "flooded" or "wet" depending on the name used.

For those marine/rv batteries, the best result is from a "low and slow" recharge to full, using about a 10% charging rate and let the voltage rise slowly to 16v.

If you use a high recharge rate in amps, it just overwhelms the chemical process and it never gets done fully.

Unfortunately, most chargers only go to 14.x and then shut off automatically, so you "can't get there from here"

There are some chargers or converters that will let you do lower amps to a higher voltage, but you have to know their specs.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Herd Fan wrote:
I have a couple different brands of batteries...Everstart Marine&RV and Interstate Marine/RV. Most chargers on the market allow you to select "standard, agm, or gel". Which setting is recommended?

Well you haven't said what type of batteries these are but from your description it seems they're probably just good ol' flooded, in which case you'd use what you've called the "standard" setting.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380