cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L

SchipperB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500HD WT (4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed) with a 6.0L engine. I was told the rear end gearing is 4.10. My question is when I pull my TT (26 feet and just under 9000 pounds) up a Mountain Pass my rpms tend to fluctuate between 4000 and 5000 rpms to maintain speed. Is it safe to run my rpms that high? Should I install an aftermarket transmission cooler to keep the transmission temp low? Any suggested modifications to gain power?
6 REPLIES 6

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Like BFL, I had a 2003 6.0l.
They don't produce much power below 3500 RPM and their sweet spot is up around 4000k.

Like others have said, don't lose your momentum, or you won't get it back - easily.

I added a 16 pass Derale stacked plate transmission cooler to keep the temps down near 175 or so except when climbing hills. That transmission lasted up to 250,000 before I moved onto a new vehicle (diesel).

That engine is rock solid. Keep up on your maintenance. Annually drop the trans pan, and change the trans filter cold, then you can flush it after the fact. Most of the time, when you take to to a shop, they just flush it an forget it - which stirs up the particulates and doesn't get rid of it. That's why I annually dropped the trans pan, when it had been sitting over night, and did the filter before the flush.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty standard scenario for our Silverado 6.0 & 4.10 quad cab, here in the mountain west we have no problem getting around but we take advantage of momentum as much as possible. We have a 33' toyhauler TT that can easily weigh over 10K when loaded with toys and water, 6.0 sure can get roaring traversing the many inclines on the way to our destinations, no biggie I just service the engine oil and tranny fluid with synthetic on earlier intervals.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Normal if your in tow haul mode.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 6.0 gets its power at the higher rpms. Iโ€™ve got a 2002 with 253k miles, and it gets up around 5000rpms regularly. It is designed for it, and is a very durable and reliable engine. It is a little disturbing when spinning like that, but that is what itโ€™s designed for.

Just watch your trans temp to see if you need an additional cooler but it should be fine.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes itโ€™s normal. No itโ€™s not hurting anything.
More power = cubic dollars. You could drop $1000-1500 into it and get ya maybe 30 hp or so, or $5-6 grand and get 150hp but need supporting mods and a greater understanding of your vehicle than you have.
Or sell it and get a diesel and sit back and laugh with the cruise on going up the passes at the speed limit.
Trans cooler? Either you need one or you donโ€™t. 2018 truck towing within the trucks rating you donโ€™t need anything.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2003 version is not quite as strong as the 2018, but same idea. Floor it and let it roar all the way to the top. No harm done below the red line on the rev counter.

AFAIK the trailer package includes a transmission cooler (?)

Try not to have to slow down behind an 18 wheeler because people are passing you so you can't pass the big truck. You will never get your speed back until you get over the hill. (Same thing with our 1991 Class C)

Important in the 2003 with 4.10 to get the required GCWR for pulling not to change the 16" tires to a bigger , taller tire like 17" or you lose pulling power as that has the effect of changing the gear ratio so you can't pull as much. 2000 lbs less pulling power with the 3.xx ratio or with 17" instead of OEM 16" (or whatever the equivalent is with the 2018s)

One time, I was going up a hill with the 5er we had, and the truck started to miss and back fire. Turned out to be the "throttle body" that badly needed cleaning out. So get that done every so often. (You might think it something else that is causing that )

We got this truck new in Oct of 2002 so it is almost 19 years old and still going great. Guess it is a "keeper" ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.