cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coleman Mach AC won't do anything - no fan, no ac

mikec35
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coleman 9330e715 in my popup. I used an adapter to plug into my garage and ran the AC for about 10 seconds then it tripped the breaker in the garage. I have since wired in a 30 amp 120v box and plugged the campers electrical cord into it. I checked the voltage at the box and I have a surge protector, both checked out ok. I can plug things into the outlets and they work. The AC won't turn on, nothing, no fan, no ac... I checked the circuit breakers, none were tripped but I turned them off and on just in case. I checked all my fuses in the panel and all are good. Any idea where to go next? This unit has the controls on the unit itself, no remote thermostat. Thank you
13 REPLIES 13

mikec35
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm an idiot!

I forgot to plug the outside cord into the top of the popup before raising it. I have yet to go camping with this camper so all the hookup procedures aren't second nature yet. I thought I'd update this thread at the expense of my dignity in hopes that anyone researching the same problem will check the obvious. Thanks for all the help!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah. Thought strikes

Normally the 120 volt power lead is one continuous run of Romex from the Breaker box to the A/C (however there is no guarantee)

Now rodents love to chow down on romex but I'm inclined to think not

Two issues I have personally seen.

Bad connection.. A/C end of cable (Where the Romex connects to the Flexible wires in the A/C) they often use wire nuts and ... Not the best connectors.

Check for any evidence of arcing or burning NOTE THIS can trip breakers both on the RV's breaker box and the outlet feeding the RV.

Other thing I've seen.. Joke. sort of. many RVers have a few screws loose.

When my rig was New (less than 1 year) I had major A/C issues. Sometimes one worked, Sometimes the other.. both or none.. Ok so I started at the breaker panel.. Noticed when I was pokeing around (Safely.. I'm trained in that kind of thing) wires MOVING in the clamps.. Uh. That's not right.

one screw took a full 3 1/2 turns before I was happy Others took over 2 full turns) Yup they stuck the wire in but never tightened it down.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
We’re all rooting for ya 🙂

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Could you have flipped the hot and neutral wires when you added the 30amp circuit? Do you have one of these testers you can use to verify the wiring?
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Try this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgIk8S_i-c

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
mikec35 wrote:
I flipped the breaker on and off but have not put a meter to it. That is my next to do... I am bouncing in and out to work on this thing between work calls today. The 12v portion of the unit is what I am curious of. I am not sure how that works. The unit has a built in thermostat, not a separate wall thermostat. Does the fan itself operate off 12 volts?

Sorry, I stand corrected, I just checked my Coleman Mach 1 and the fan will not operate without 120v…

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There should be a Molex style connector at the control knob and a wirenut type splice. Check pins in connector to ensure they have not slide back and not making connection.
I am still thinking circuit breaker not completely tripped. Turn off all breakers applying light pressure toward off. Then turn on main breaker, if equipped, followed by other breakers one at a time.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mikec35
Explorer
Explorer
I flipped the breaker on and off but have not put a meter to it. That is my next to do... I am bouncing in and out to work on this thing between work calls today. The 12v portion of the unit is what I am curious of. I am not sure how that works. The unit has a built in thermostat, not a separate wall thermostat. Does the fan itself operate off 12 volts?

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
mikec35 wrote:
Is there anything inline between the breaker and the AC unit?

No, have you checked at the breaker??

Upon re-read, you say the fan won’t come on, yet I believe the fan portion is 12v?…This should tell us something…

3 tons

mikec35
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the control panel down from the ceiling and I do not have 120 volts to the control panel. Is there anything inline between the breaker and the AC unit?

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Had this problem. Air conditioner will not run without the fan. At least on my Coleman Mach 10. It’s easy to replace the capacitors. Mine did not have a start capacitor like the older ones (2018) so I sent that back and replaced the fan capacitor. Then I replaced the run capacitor because the fan worked but not the air. That fixed it.
Check that the fan spins freely. Check that the barrel fan above the filter spins freely too. If it’s the fan motor it can still be fixed but that part is more expensive. Still less than a new unit.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Remove the ceiling cover, verify that you have 120 volts entering the unit. Check the connector to ensure that they connected securely.
Turning breaker off without applying light pressure toward off doesn't always reset breakers.
An improperly wired RV may have run AC unit through a GFCI receptacle. Verify that the GFCI receptacle is not tripped.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Not too sure about your Coleman, but the first thing to check is to see if the t-stat (wall mounted??) uses a battery…Beyond that, I’d want to pull the cover off to access the power terminals for further eval…

3 tons