Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter/battery

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.

Our converter appears to be working properly (Converter output voltage is 13.6), but the battery is not charging properly. I checked all panel fuses, inline fuses, and connections, and everything looked good.

During our last camping trip, when I noticed the issue, I found that the converter wire at the breaker was loose, and I fixed that. Unfortunately, the battery was all but dead after we'd been gone all day (wife left air conditioner on - that didn't help matters), so we had to buy a new battery. I was hoping with the wire reattached and a brand new battery, that I'd be good to go...apparently not. Thoughts on what to do next?
2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21 DS
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L CTD, 4x4, quad cab
27 REPLIES 27

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I see some of you never have seen employment as an OEM line mechanic...

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
SERVICE MANAGERS HAVE ONE SOLE FUNCTION

Scream at the mechanics: Do it faster FASTER!

Scream at the parts department IT ISN'T COVERED UNDER THE TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Tell the customer. "That isn't covered under warranty. But you need to do this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and that. That is what we recommend. And don't call us, we'll call you when it's ready".

My opinion of Service Managers isn't so hot...

Actually the service manager is part of the sales team. Their job is to sell services.

Duh, It kills me that this isn't known and has to be explained. We need to educate our young people and some of our old.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Scream at the parts department IT ISN'T COVERED UNDER THE TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

Tell the customer. "That isn't covered under warranty. But you need to do this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and that. That is what we recommend. And don't call us, we'll call you when it's ready".

Actually the service manager is part of the sales team. Their job is to sell services.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though some Converters do not work without a battery.. Yours is not one of those older (last century) models.

More than that I can not say without hands on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Good plan, let them deal with it.

I appreciate all the help. This forum is an awesome resource. Take care.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good plan, let them deal with it.

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking the trailer to the dealer, so we can get this ironed out before my warranty ends.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herd Fan wrote:
Talked to the service manager and he told me to disconnect the battery and plug in the camper for awhile. He wanted to see how things ran like that. Of course, nothing works, other than the outlets. From what I've read, this isn't unusual as some converters require the battery to be installed for everything else to operate.

I also asked him why I'm only getting 12.7 volts at the battery while hooked up, when the converter output is 13.6, and he said anything over 12v at the battery is ok. Frustrating.

That service manager doesn't have a clue.

You should be reading 13.6 (or very close) at the battery when the trailer is plugged in.
All the 12 volt circuits should work with the trailer plugged in and the battery disconnected.

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Talked to the service manager and he told me to disconnect the battery and plug in the camper for awhile. He wanted to see how things ran like that. Of course, nothing works, other than the outlets. From what I've read, this isn't unusual as some converters require the battery to be installed for everything else to operate.

I also asked him why I'm only getting 12.7 volts at the battery while hooked up, when the converter output is 13.6, and he said anything over 12v at the battery is ok. Frustrating.

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
Herd Fan wrote:
Cydog15 wrote:
Why not post the make and model of the converter? Lots of internet experts here can help

WFCO Ultra WF-8900 series

Battery is Interstate Marine/RV HD24-DP, charged on a battery charger to 100% (13.3 V) prior to installing on camper.

Output from converter is 13.7. Voltage at battery (connected) is 12.7 (was 13.3 when first connected yesterday). I checked all fuses and grounds. I pushed the reset button on the small, inline "circuit breaker" gizmo on the frame near the battery. Maybe this is just as good as it's going to get.

I'd be ditching that rascal for a PD 4655L new main board in a heartbeat. 4655L Wildcat

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
Disconnect a cable from the battery and check the voltage at the battery cables while the trailer is plugged in. Let us know what the voltage is.

It seems like the battery may not be getting any voltage from the converter. If it is not then you may need to replace the inline circuit breaker that you reset.

The other way to do that same test, is unplug shore power and see if you get 12.x or whatever from the battery at the DC fuse panel. If no DC, there is an open somewhere.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disconnect a cable from the battery and check the voltage at the battery cables while the trailer is plugged in. Let us know what the voltage is.

It seems like the battery may not be getting any voltage from the converter. If it is not then you may need to replace the inline circuit breaker that you reset.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
A one volt drop between the converter and the battery is not "as good as it's going to get." There's a bad or open connection somewhere between the two, or a seriously undersized wire for the charge current (and, at 12.7V, the charge current is not likely to be very much anyhow).

I'd double-check the battery cables, including the ground cable, looking for corrosion or other problems at either end. I've seen a couple battery cables that looked okay at first glance but had the copper wire nearly or completely corroded away internally.