cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter/charger upgrade

Eddiecar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I’ve recently upgraded my parallax converter/charger 7355 55amp to a progressive dynamic 55 amp smart charge/converter (pd4655v). The positive wire going to the batteries has a 12v 50amp short stop auto reset breaker just before the batteries. My question is should I upgrade the breaker to a 55 or 60 amp or leave the 50 amp? Is it safe to change the breaker to one with a higher amperage rating? The old system was 55 amps too, I don’t understand why the trailer manufacture didn’t install a larger breaker. Isn’t the breaker restricting the charger from charging at its full potential?

My trailer 2004 cascade 30ft trailer
Wire going to batteries from charger is a 6awg UL mtw awm 1283.
Batteries are 4 interstate 6v deep cycle wired in series parallel 12volt system.

Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for how-to question related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, go to the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT
2 REPLIES 2

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unbundled #6 with 105C insulation is good for at least 100 amps.
I would put a Bussmann Hi-Amp manually reset breaker in a place close to the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB185-80-Waterproof-Circuit-Breaker

Those self resetting automotive breakers are junk at best and a fire hazard at their worst.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Breaker is protecting the wire.
I would not change it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker