Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Copper gas line touching aluminum frame problem

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper: Lance
Frame: Aluminum

Problem: possible galvanic reaction where copper propane tube is touching aluminum frame.

During a routine inspection I noticed a discoloration on the propane tube line to the refrigerator.
Two photos shown; one overview (I've released the copper tubing clamp at the top to allow separation of the copper tubing and aluminum frame.)
Second photo: close view of problem spot

My temporary fix will be to place a sleeve of plastic or vinyl tubing over the copper tubing.

Questions: Can the copper tube be treated with something to prevent further deterioration of the copper?
How should this issue be treated?

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
10 REPLIES 10

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bighatnohorse wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
If the copper has not yet been damaged I'd suggest a wire loom (That black ribbed plastic tubing aroudn the wires) or a length of clear plastic tube slit so you can slip it over the pipe and a dab of GOOP to keep it in place.

Done. I used plastic/vinyl tubing and slit it lengthwise. Works perfectly.

Kinda like in the pic I posted. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
If the copper has not yet been damaged I'd suggest a wire loom (That black ribbed plastic tubing aroudn the wires) or a length of clear plastic tube slit so you can slip it over the pipe and a dab of GOOP to keep it in place.

Done. I used plastic/vinyl tubing and slit it lengthwise. Works perfectly.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 90 bend in the first pic implied to me that this is 'soft' copper and can be bent.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Well so much for "Quality" from REV, Again.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Looks like the copper is up against a wood spacer. Give it a yank to move them apart.

I see what looks like some grey sealant on the wood spacer but where is the aluminum frame?

The aluminum is sandwiched between two skins of wood. The "grayish" color is the aluminum. The aluminum seems to have a coating of glue on it.
I can't just "yank them apart" because the copper tubing is rigid and attached to the frame.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had an issue with my feeder line to cooktop. It was rubbing against the galvanized steel opening. I put a "CONDOM" on the line to protect it from wearing thru.

I always save left over hoses for such "PROTECTION".

Do the same with yours!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the copper is up against a wood spacer. Give it a yank to move them apart.

I see what looks like some grey sealant on the wood spacer but where is the aluminum frame?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Contac Lance and the NHTSA immediately with your pics. This will probably result in a National Safety recall. Which means you will get a NEW line at no cost to you, parts and labor. If yours has this, all other with your model will have it. You will be saving scores of RV'ers a major problem and possible explosion or death.
2. From the pic, it appears not just discolored, but has rubbed off part of the copper and the integrity is compromised. I would replace that line if it was mine. Doug

PS, this is how recalls get initiated---when the customer finds a problem and notifies the authorities.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely, you can get galvanic reaction/corrosion between aluminum and copper. And, isolating them with any non-conductive material prevents it.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/