Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom plastic ice box for Dometic freezer

stacaz822
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!

I am looking for the best way to buy or make an ice tray for my Dometic freezer in my RV. It needs to be 10.25" deep, 15.75" wide, and 8" tall. I looked into custom made acrylic boxes, but they are well over $100 for something this small! I thought about making something myself, but not sure how to go about it. I thought of wood, since I do woodworking, but that probably won't work in a wet environment, even with a plastic liner. Any ideas? I would like clear plastic so I can see the ice level. This is just a simple box that fits perfectly in the top 2/3 of the freezer and rests on the bottom shelf. This is just for holding ice made elsewhere. The box would be taken in and out, so it needs to hold a full load of ice while moving it about.

I got tired of throwing ice bags in there and cutting the top off to get at the ice cubes. It was messy and often spilled out. Thanks!
Stacaz
10 REPLIES 10

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Find a used appliance store. They have non-repairables out back to take to scrap. You can probably look thru them and find one with an ice bin in it that will work. Might cost you a buck or two if not free.

I saved the ice bin from my old shop fridge and it fits nicely in the freezer of my 6 cu/ft Dometic. I hardly ever use ice but it helps keep the freezer cold, and its there if I need it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go to your local plastic supply shop and buy a piece of acrylic and cut it to the size you want and glue it together. You said you do wood work, so you should be able to make the cuts, very similar to wood. My local place will even make things for you based upon your drawings. Plastic Supply House
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your fridge have those 2 little crispers on the bottom?

When one of mine broke I replaced it with a larger one from Norcold and used the other to put ice in the freezer,worked out very well.

Like this
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

stacaz822
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Any reason a gallon sized ziplock bag (or 2) wouldnโ€™t work? We fill one before leaving the house from the ice maker. If we need more we either buy a small bag of ice or fill up some ice trays. We find using some of the very well insulated thermos cups reduces the need for ice, keeping liquor in the reduces the need for ice. The DW keeps a large insulated cup full of Arnold Palmer drink and refills it several times a day. Still has plenty of ice at the end of the day. I drink Scotch neat so no need for ice.

We have one of those table top ice makers and found it to be a total PIA, took to much counter space while in use, same for storage when not. So now itโ€™s permanently in storage at home.

I tried Ziploc bags with ice made at home, but they are messy and end up breaking when you have to pound them on the floor to break up the ice. I just want to reach in and grab a handful of ice, or bring it out on the counter and get more than a handful. I make iced tea, and the ice tea comes out hot, so I use a lot of ice to cool it down. It's hard to find something that exact size. Any smaller and you waste a lot of precious freezer space.
Stacaz

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Table top ice makers, not that this thread was at all about those, and not sure why it is, are a great way to get almost frozen ice cubes for your drink, unless youโ€™re babysitting it and filling your freezer every time it cranks out a batch.
Guess Iโ€™d have to sit in the camper doing nothing on vacation a whole lot more for that scenario to make any sense.

OP, at the risk of sounding contrite, there are plastic storage bins, trays, dishwashing โ€œbucketsโ€ etc of all shapes and sizes. Find the one closest to the size you want.
If youโ€™re hung up on exact size then you may just as well keep using bags, because it is likely an effort in futility at that point.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:
I lie the dollar tree suggestin
Also find someone with a 400x400x400 3D printer and a spool of PETG about 30 bucks for materials assuming the whole roll. Times 2.5 to sell it.
(It wont take the whole roll)

Frankly I'd pull it ice mater and go with a counter top unit.

in fact.... I did

He doesnโ€™t have it ice mater.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any reason a gallon sized ziplock bag (or 2) wouldnโ€™t work? We fill one before leaving the house from the ice maker. If we need more we either buy a small bag of ice or fill up some ice trays. We find using some of the very well insulated thermos cups reduces the need for ice, keeping liquor in the reduces the need for ice. The DW keeps a large insulated cup full of Arnold Palmer drink and refills it several times a day. Still has plenty of ice at the end of the day. I drink Scotch neat so no need for ice.

We have one of those table top ice makers and found it to be a total PIA, took to much counter space while in use, same for storage when not. So now itโ€™s permanently in storage at home.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I lie the dollar tree suggestin
Also find someone with a 400x400x400 3D printer and a spool of PETG about 30 bucks for materials assuming the whole roll. Times 2.5 to sell it.
(It wont take the whole roll)

Frankly I'd pull it ice mater and go with a counter top unit.

in fact.... I did
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Google and the internet are your best sources for this. A quick search for 'Plastic Freezer Storage Tray' turned up many sources including this one:

https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9.html?subj=coupon-un&_bg_fs=1&_p_jump_id=895&_x_vst_scene=adg&good...
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Stacaz,
You could do what I often do for special containers...
Go to Dollar Tree and find something that is not quite, but you can cut it up, only use half or be otherwise creative. If you get it wrong, you are out 1.25 (or 2.50 if you had to buy 2).
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.