Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dead battery has interesting side effect

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

On my v-10 E-450 the starter battery died.

As a side result--even when boosted the gas gauge read ZERO fuel and the low fuel led was lite.

It was totally full of gas.

How peculiar!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
9 REPLIES 9

MrWizard
Congratulations,
Problem is cleared and new start battery, seems all systems are operational you are ready to go
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
dougrainer wrote:
If battery is now charged. I would disconnect the chassis battery for 30 minutes and reconnect. Then see if the problem goes away. Doug

Hi Doug,

The starter battery was toast and had to be replaced.

The problem cleared itself as I ran the vehicle for about 75 minutes hoping that the starter battery would recharge.

I parked where it was safe--and the next day the starter battery was not even close to being enough to start the unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MNtundraRet wrote:
I am just wondering. If you held the connect button for the house batteries did the gas gauge read correctly?

I had no way to test that as the house bank solar was covered since November--so they were below 8 volts.
Regards, Don

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If battery is now charged. I would disconnect the chassis battery for 30 minutes and reconnect. Then see if the problem goes away. Doug

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I am just wondering. If you held the connect button for the house batteries did the gas gauge read correctly?
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi all,

On my v-10 E-450 the starter battery died.

As a side result--even when boosted the gas gauge read ZERO fuel and the low fuel led was lite.

It was totally full of gas.

How peculiar!

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, while working at a Ford dealer I had a similar situation three times.

(1.) A battery was completely dead and someone jump started it with the cables crossed.

(2.) A battery was completely dead and the battery charger was connected backwards.

(3.) The batteries were stolen from a new F-650. Battery cables were also cut. Whoever installed the new batteries and cables wired them backwards.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries and tires are two items I could have sworn I bought yesterday (four years ago).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr. Wizard,

I think that may be. It is from 2004.
Regards, Don

MrWizard
Don is that a digital dash,
If so that is controlled by the engine cpu, and I suspect it will only be corrected when the engine battery is at sufficient voltage, the zero state of the fuel gauge etc. Is possibly the normal state when there is power but no command data to display, the stored data is probably in protected mode, and will be displayed once the CPU is satisfied battery status and power requirements are met, this is just conjecture on my part, but seems totally logical to me
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s