cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnect Power When Using Generator?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We lost power to all sites in our park today. The park let us run our generators, but said we should disconnect our RVs from the power pedestal first.

Why?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs
13 REPLIES 13

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
wnjj wrote:
The park just doesnโ€™t want every RV in the place to switch back to campground power at the same time when it returns. If people have to manually have to reconnect it spreads the load.
While you are correct... I understand that typically generator gets priority so I believe RVs would remain isolated until the generator was shut down.

I guess that makes sense in that the โ€œnormalโ€ use doesnโ€™t require energizing the relay coils full time, however much like unplugging you wouldnโ€™t have an easy way to know the power was restored. I suppose you could have some circuits that only connect to shore power and/or a tattle tale indicator for shore power.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
The park just doesnโ€™t want every RV in the place to switch back to campground power at the same time when it returns. If people have to manually have to reconnect it spreads the load.
While you are correct... I understand that typically generator gets priority so I believe RVs would remain isolated until the generator was shut down.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Safety. Because if only legitimate electrician's worked on electrical systems and did everything to code, there is the chance of a malfunction and a worker encountering back feed from a generator.
Many people that work on RV's are not electricians nor do they have any clue what the code is. The things I've seen... Some people think it is perfectly acceptable to modify an extension cord so it has a male connector on each end. plug one end into your little generator and the other into any outlet on your camper and every electrical appliance running off of that breaker will work. AND power will be fed back into the pedestal and every other one on that breaker. It is likely at that point the breaker on the generator will continually kick. But what happens when the campground workcamper opens up a nearby pedestal to look for a bad connection when he knows the breaker for that loop has been turned off? And he grabs a wire just when extension cord guy resets the breaker on the generator?
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

babock
Explorer
Explorer
If they are having power issues, they may have power coming on and off as they restore it. Better to wait until its a constant good power before you reconnect your RV.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
All these answers are legit, but just for kicks I'd ask the park.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
:When power fails you should keep it off for 3 full minutes Normally starting the Genny will take that long.. If you are in a trailer you will manually (most likely) Transfer the plug from the park to the genny. IN a motor home like mine you have an auto transfer switch

IF you transfer "HOT" (that is turn on the Generator or turn it off) especially with the A/C running two bad thins can happen

1: The ATS (Auto Transfer Switch) contactors can weld in place and disable the thing

2: damage to the air conditioner as it tries to Re-start with a full head of pressure (Takes 2-3 mintues to blead down)

Also if the ATS fails in one type of failure you can back feed the park. That one I've never seen happen personally. but I do know how it can happen.

Finally some folks have fancy "Back feed" systems (A cord with two male plugs, also known as a "Suicide cord" in this system you have to remember to flip switches (The main breaker) to OFF before you fire it up.. Very dangerous there is a reason it's called a "Suicide cord" and you can easily backfeed the park damagign your rig, the park's electrical system. your generator and killing a lineman.. Though that sounds extreme.. it has happened.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I always disconnect from shore power before I start the generator, just in case the ATS malfunctions

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
"With all the home wiring jobs discussed on RV.net it is a big unknown if all RVs still meet code to isolate the cord.

For a properly wired and maintained RV there is no issue."
X2. They
Probably had an issue umpteen years ago that fed power back into the park grid.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
We lost power to all sites in our park today. The park let us run our generators, but said we should disconnect our RVs from the power pedestal first.

Why?
With all the home wiring jobs discussed on RV.net it is a big unknown if all RVs still meet code to isolate the cord.

For a properly wired and maintained RV there is no issue.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The automatic transfer switch contacts can be damaged from switching power sources under load, especially larger loads like air conditioners, electric heaters, etc. There's also a remote, but very rare, possibility that a failed ATS could allow a back feed from one source to another due to welded contacts from arcing. Unplugging from shore power when running on generator power is just a reasonable safety measure. In those situations, I plug a lead light or night light into the shorepower utility outlet so I'll know when the line power is restored.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
So that when the power returns you don't rely on the transfer switch to protect the generator in your RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
So you don't back feed power back into the parks power grid.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.