cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic 9100 Awning probem

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Search gave no hits. I have a Dometic 9100 Motorized awning. The motor has failed and is locked up. Because it's locked up, It won't allow me to manually retract it. The owners manual says to remove the two Allen head screws to free it. However, the wires coming from the motor are protruding through the hub. Must I cut those wires? What am I missing? We must leave here in three days and need to get the awning retracted. TIA!
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
'02 F350 PSD, CC, SRW, 2WD
One terrific wife
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bunklash wrote:
Dougrainer/fj12ryder........ Afraid not, (reminds me of the the joke with the punchline, 'a frayed knot'). The piece the set screws seat into does not spin on the shaft. That piece is fast to the motor shaft, and the motor shaft will not turn. Once the set screws are removed should that coupling be free from the motor shaft? That's the only way I can see it would work without shearing off the wires. I sure could use some help 'cause we're supposed to be leaving in two days, and rough weather is heading this way. (In north GA, awaiting tropical storm Fred's arrival).
BTW, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but my wife thinks I'm the shiniest! Shhhhh, don't tell her!

Do you HAVE the actual manual for the 9100? You are hung up on those 2 wires. DON"T BE! What I posted is verbatim from the manual release for a locked motor from the 9100 owners manual, and yes I have done the procedure many times. Page 8. Doug

https://www.dometic.com/externalassets/dometic-9100-power-patio-awning-hardware_73709.pdf

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Dougrainer/fj12ryder........ Afraid not, (reminds me of the the joke with the punchline, 'a frayed knot'). The piece the set screws seat into does not spin on the shaft. That piece is fast to the motor shaft, and the motor shaft will not turn. Once the set screws are removed should that coupling be free from the motor shaft? That's the only way I can see it would work without shearing off the wires. I sure could use some help 'cause we're supposed to be leaving in two days, and rough weather is heading this way. (In north GA, awaiting tropical storm Fred's arrival).
BTW, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but my wife thinks I'm the shiniest! Shhhhh, don't tell her!
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
One terrific wife

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
When I removed the motor from the shaft on my Dometic 9100, the awning arms immediately opened full. It did not try to rewind, just the opposite. It nearly threw me off the ladder as I wasn't expecting that.

You don't remove the motor for the retract procedure. Doug
Ah, I see.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bunklash wrote:
Yes, the set screws release the motor, but the wires from the motor, even when retracted and tucked in, impede the rotation of the spool enough to prevent it from rotating. Should I just get some additional manpower and force it?? Should the motor be unable to rotate when not powered?? Seems it would have to to hold the awning open. But what to do with the wires??

You are still confused. The SHAFT of rh hand torsion will free wheel once the 2 screws are removed. The wires have nothing to do with it. Besides, you will need a new motor and the new motor comes with the short wire pigtail. Doug

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the set screws release the motor, but the wires from the motor, even when retracted and tucked in, impede the rotation of the spool enough to prevent it from rotating. Should I just get some additional manpower and force it?? Should the motor be unable to rotate when not powered?? Seems it would have to to hold the awning open. But what to do with the wires??
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
One terrific wife

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
When I removed the motor from the shaft on my Dometic 9100, the awning arms immediately opened full. It did not try to rewind, just the opposite. It nearly threw me off the ladder as I wasn't expecting that.

You don't remove the motor for the retract procedure. Doug

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You only remove the 2- 5/32 Allen screws. This releases the Torsion end shaft from the motor. AS the directions state, have someone holding the pull strap to hold the awning in place and then slowly allow the rear torsion spring to roll the awning up to travel. You then align to reinstall those 2 screws for travel. I would also use some heavy duty nylon wire ties to secure the front and rear arms at the top to prevent extension in transit. Doug

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks gdweb, but that's not the problem. It's getting power, but the motor is seized up. I'm trying to figure how to make it retract with a seized motor. I'm so not a fan of the engineering, not to mention the lack of available, practical information from the Dometic website. Just wondering, are they so vague about helpful info intentionally??? It's such an common malfunction, why wouldn't they want to be helpful to their customers????
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
One terrific wife

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a plug in the arm going up to the motor. just pull the 2 ends and it should come apart. mine took some pulling to finally get it unplugged.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res