cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic CT Thermostat

jmiller12
Explorer
Explorer
Just got done with my shakedown trip and discovered my Dometic CT thermostat is garbage. Any button you press causes the thermostat to erratically cycle through all the functions, so you never know what you will land on. The good news is that it does activate the furnace and AC when you land on the right screen. My questions are:
1. Should I just get the same thermostat again and hope for the best (the unit has awful reviews all around on Amazon)
2. If I choose to get an upgraded Dometic thermostat, will it be plug and play as far as the wiring is concerned?
3. If money was no object, what is the best digital thermostat out there?
4. If I get a different brand like a Honeywell, how hard is the installation? Is it DIY?
5. Are there any other components, such as a control board, that I should think about replacing when I replace the thermostat.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Neil_Citro
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Dometic. There was a recall on my CT for bad foam under the cover, it was doing what yours does. They sent me a new cover and it’s fine now.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BH
2019 Ford F350 SD 6.7L

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jmiller12 wrote:
dougrainer, The inside trailer and outside temp was way less than 110 deg, probably around 75 in San Diego. Also, the unit is a 2018 Winnebago Minnie model, so the tstat is a new. I am glad to hear that you don't have any problems, but other people have posted reviews that have the same problem as me. To be specific, I can press the power button ONE time, and the tstat will cycle from fan to cool to furnace and then off. When I finally do get the unit to stay on cool, if I try to adjust the temperature up or down, one press of the arrow cycles the unit from cool, to furnace then off. Sometimes it switches from F to C hitting one button rather than press both arrows simultaneously. Is it possible that the control board is causing the issue rather than the tstat?

I made a mistake. The CT is the NEWEST version of the old single zone Tstat. The CT did not have any problems. The most common problem is user related. PUSHING the areas for the buttons instead of lightly touching. The Tstat responds like your screen on a smart phone. But, the problem if it is a problem will be the wall tstat. Doug
PS. the CT stands for----
Capacitive Touch (CT)

jmiller12
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer, The inside trailer and outside temp was way less than 110 deg, probably around 75 in San Diego. Also, the unit is a 2018 Winnebago Minnie model, so the tstat is a new. I am glad to hear that you don't have any problems, but other people have posted reviews that have the same problem as me. To be specific, I can press the power button ONE time, and the tstat will cycle from fan to cool to furnace and then off. When I finally do get the unit to stay on cool, if I try to adjust the temperature up or down, one press of the arrow cycles the unit from cool, to furnace then off. Sometimes it switches from F to C hitting one button rather than press both arrows simultaneously. Is it possible that the control board is causing the issue rather than the tstat?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like my Dometic CT single zone thermostat. With each gentle touch it scrolls around the options or adjusts the temperature. Very easy to operate, turns completely dark when not used for a minute, and automatically controls the high/low fan speed.

Dometic may have a more complex thermostat that is compatible, I don't know.

These are run with 3 wires. 2 for 12v power and 1 for digital signal. Not going to be plug and play to go with a home thermostat with analog controls. You would need an old style control board.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have to go with that Tstat. There are NO problems with that model tstat. When they first came out 4 or 5 years ago the first year had a problem when the interior of the RV was over 110 degrees that caused the tstat to not come on. That was fixed years ago. That tstat only uses 3 wires and uses a upper control board that only works with that tstat. You can upgrade the upper control board to a non LED tstat system but that depends on how many wires are run from the Roof AC to the Wall tstat. I would have no problem using your Tstat system. They have hundreds of thousands out there. I have very few complaints on this model tstat. The only complaints are, people that do NOT know how to operate this model tstat----They complain of the roof AC running in furnace mode, because they do not have the Fan set to AUTO. Doug