Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic penguin heat pumps

CdnTxn
Explorer
Explorer
2000 monaco diplomat
Replaced both AC units with dometic penguin heat pumps model 651816.
Replaced thermostat with new ccc2 10 button thermostat.
So 2 zones.
Zone 1 (front unit) works great on everything, ac heat pump furnace etc.
System will not pick up zone 2. Did reset. Nothing. Dip switches set properly to zone 2.
Replaced communication line between the ac units, did reset, nothing.
Tried going direct with thermostat and 12v power to back unit set dip switch for zone 2 to off so that unit was zone 1 now.. Independently it works as it should.
But with front ac as zone 1, zone 2 does not show up on thermostat.
When 2nd ac is connected with communication line E01 shows on thermostat and sometimes back unit starts. Not zone 2 though on display.
Help please...
14 REPLIES 14

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Doogie in Elk Grove wrote:
CdnTxn wrote:
2000 monaco diplomat
So 2 zones.
System will not pick up zone 2. Did reset. Nothing. Dip switches set properly to zone 2.
Tried going direct with thermostat and 12v power to back unit set dip switch for zone 2 to off so that unit was zone 1 now.. Independently it works as it should.
When 2nd ac is connected with communication line E01 shows on thermostat and sometimes back unit starts. Not zone 2 though on display.
Help please...

Did your New AC come with the bolts to secure it? Mine didn't and I'm trying to figure out if it was supposed to or not. Thanks for the input.

New Dometic AC units do NOT come with mount bolts. Those bolts come with the Inside plenum mount kit. Doug

Doogie_in_Elk_G
Explorer
Explorer
CdnTxn wrote:
2000 monaco diplomat
So 2 zones.
Help please...

Did your New AC come with the bolts to secure it? Mine didn't and I'm trying to figure out if it was supposed to or not. Thanks for the input.
2011 Ford F450 4x4 Lariat
2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS

CdnTxn
Explorer
Explorer
Problem Solved....
There were 2 separate issues.
1. The communicatiion cable between the 2 units was damaged and not sending signal. Replaced the cable with a new one.

2. The control board in the new "zone 2" AC (the back unit) was damaged. dometic sent a new board and when replaced everything works great.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

To Summarize:
I replaced 2 "old" Dometic Penquin AC units with New Dometic Heat Pumps. Replaced the old 4 button thermostat with new CCC2 10-button thermostat. Replaced the communication line between the 2 units. Unit 2 came with a bad board - replaced by Dometic and now everything works awesome.
Thanks again.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I need to know something.
1. When you installed the 2 year TEMP, did you replace the Onboard control module with the 10 to 5 button adapter kit?
2. The original wall tstat---4 button or 5 button? Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry, I missed something from your first post. E01 is a communication error. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ChuckSteed wrote:
Yes... Dometic makes a cable for its air conditioner control module CANBUS...

https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-a-c-18ft-communication-cable.html

It sounds to me like either you have an issue with comm cable running between the two units or one of the control modules is not compatible with the other and itโ€™s control module box isnโ€™t seeing the data across the comm cable being sent from the thermostat

That's what I thought. But he confirmed he replaced BOTH AC units and they had 10 button control boards. Doug

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Yes... Dometic makes a cable for its air conditioner control module CANBUS...

https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-a-c-18ft-communication-cable.html

It sounds to me like either you have an issue with comm cable running between the two units or one of the control modules is not compatible with the other and itโ€™s control module box isnโ€™t seeing the data across the comm cable being sent from the thermostat

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1.Never heard of Dometic supplied COM cables. They have always been built by OEM's and Service Center Techs
2. Front AC-----turn ON the Zone 2 Dip switch
3. Rear AC turn the Zone 2 DIP switch off and see what happens after the reset.
4. The Rear should be Zone 1 and the front Zone 2. See what works.
5. If Zone 2 displays and works and Zone 1 does NOT display or work, you have a problem with the COM cable between the 2. Doug

CdnTxn
Explorer
Explorer
Reply to Doug Rainer
1. Front unit was replaced 2 years ago with a "temporary" one. Back unit was 20 years old. Going with new heat pumps and new thermostat.
2. Used new dometic supplied cables.
3. Connected to the connector box at the end of the short cables with the unit. 1 to thermostat 1 to 2nd unit.
4. Ran a temporary cable across the floor to test it. Old cable was damaged somewhere as there was no 12v coming through it. I will run the new cable through the vents. I am aware of the ends needing to be the right way.
5. Didn't use any of the old parts. New units have built in control boxes.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jdc1 wrote:
Start with your power source. Where is it coming from? How many amps is it supplying? The reason I bring this up is only one unit can run off a 20/30 amp outlet. Your generator should be able to power both units. Or a 50 amp outlet can power both units.

Power supply will NOT be a factor for the CCC wall communication. It is 12 volt dc operated and will display even if no 120 available. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. WHY did you replace both units? Lack of cooling or Communication problems?
2. When you replaced the COM cable between the front and rear, did you make your own cable or buy a phone cable and install? If you made your own COM cable, did you follow the 4 wires installed in the plastic modular connections correctly?
3. On the Penguins, you have 2 Modular COM cables connected to the upper control board and those 2 cables extend inside by the Evaporator with splice connection plugs. Where did you connect your COM cables? On the actual board or to one of the 2 COM pigtails?
4. Did you run your New COM cable thru the AC duct? Which is the best and easiest way.
5. The OLDER Penguins, especially a 2000 would have had the 4 button CCC. 2001 is when Dometic dropped the 4 button and went to the 5 button. The older had the control module in a silver galvanized 8 by 8 inch box. Located in the upper evap area. Did you USE the original Control boxes at all? Doug

CdnTxn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll try those suggestions.

Also, when I connect the front AC (zone 1) to the back unit with a new cable, the rear runs although nothing shows on thecthermostat.

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand correctly, you made the rear AC Zone 1, added 12V to it and ran the thermostat directly to the back AC and the rear AC ran correctly.

Did you then try and make the front AC, Zone 2 and reinitialize?

Try that. If you get the E01 code I believe you still have a communication cable issue between the front and back units. Can I assume you used a communication cable and not a phone cable?

If you have the proper cables, did you replace the small cream colored connecters that connect the communication cables to the AC harness?

Are all communication cable ends in like new condition. If not, clip them off and install new ends.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start with your power source. Where is it coming from? How many amps is it supplying? The reason I bring this up is only one unit can run off a 20/30 amp outlet. Your generator should be able to power both units. Or a 50 amp outlet can power both units.