Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

MELM
Explorer
Explorer
Click here to go directly to Updates.
Update Number 1 Nov 23, 2006
Update Number 2 Dec 5, 2006
Update Number 3 Jan 10, 2007
Update Number 4 Jan 19, 2007 - Recall Instructions - click here: Dometic Recall You need your model and serial numbers.
Update Number 5 Feb 13, 2007 - Added links to new info on the NHTSA website including the info/form for claiming reimbursement for a failure. These are at the end of the post below where all the updates are posted.

Also, edited the below Recall to include the change made prior to the Dec 5 update showing the proposed remedy.

Below is information from the NHTSA website on a recall of certain Dometic refrigerators. This recall is in its very early stages, and there is no resolution in place as of Nov 1, 2006.

From the NHTSA website:

Dometic Recall NHTSA Campaign ID 06E076000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2663 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3863 9999

Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 28, 2006

Component: EQUIPMENT: RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877

Summary:
CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS.
713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX;
801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX;
901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX;
001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX;
101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX;
201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX;
301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX,
INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.

Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN BETWEEN APRIL AND JUNE 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

The following is extracted from the notice provided by Dometic to the NHTSA dated 8/26/06:

The potential defect is associated with cooling unit at the back of the refrigeration cabinet.

A fractional percentage of the potentially affected refrigerators have experienced a fatigue crack that may develop in the boiler tube in the area of the weld between the boiler tube and the heater pocket. A fatigue crack may release a sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution into an area where an ignition source (gas flame) is present. Dometic's investigation has shown that a simulated release of cooling solution (refrigerant) in the area of the boiler, under certain conditions, could be ignited by the presence of an open flame. A boiler fatigue crack with the loss of cooling solution without ignition would result in a non-operational refrigerator that is not a safety issue. Under certain conditions, the released coolant could ignite and result in a fire. In order to have a fire, at a minimum, all of the following conditions must exist:

1. The refrigerator must be on and normally operating and gas burner must be lit;
    2. 'There must be an oversized heating element in the refrigerator;
    3. The boiler tube must develop a throughway fatigue crack of a
    specific size;
    4. There must be a release of the cooling solution at a rate which will
    allow the accumulation of the cooling solution at a concentration within its range of flammability; and
    5. There must be ignition source (gas flame) present.

If any of these conditions are not present, a release of the cooling solution will not result in a fire.

In April of 1997 Dometic modified the design of the affected refrigerators by increasing the wattage of the heating element from 325 watts to 354 watts. All production of the affected units from April 1997 through May of 2003 utilized the 354 watt heating element. In May of 2003, in order to improve the operating life of the refrigerators, Dometic returned to the use of the 325 watt heating element which it continues to use today. It is now believed that the use of the higher wattage heater contributed to abnormal fatigue in the boiler tube.

The products in question are all refrigerators used in the original manufacture of recreation vehicles or as replacement equipment for recreation vehicles. The total population of refrigerators potentially containing the defect is 926,877. Dometic estimates a potential maximum incident rate of 0.01% related to boiler fatigue cracks that leak and may result in a fire. There have been no incidents of injury or death related to the affected population of Dometic refrigerators.

Dometic became aware of the occurrence of fires which may have involved their products and retained an independent engineering testing laboratory to fully evaluate and investigate any potential defect in their refrigerators which might result in a fire. A number of returned units were analyzed and microscopic fatigue cracks which could release coolant into the area of the burner were identified in the boiler tube metal in the area of the weld between the heater pocket and boiler tube. Tests simulating the cracks were conducted the week of August 18, 2006 and confirmed a possible cause of fire in the refrigerators under certain conditions. These test results prompted the preparation of this notice.

Dometic continues to gather information on the potential defect and will forward additional relevant information as it becomes available.

Dometic has not yet identified a proposed remedy for the potential defect. Dometic will continue a testing program designed to identify and evaluate possible remedies. This evaluation will take place both in the United States and in Sweden. Once a remedy has been identified, Dometic will initiate or participate in a remedy campaign initiated by the original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers who have purchased, sold, and distributed these products. A list of original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers to whom Dometic has sold the potentially defective refrigerators is being prepared and will be provided to the NHTSA upon its
completion.

The following is extracted from the NHTSA response on 9/18/06:

Please provide the following additional information and be reminded of the following requirements:
    Dometic must provide an estimated dealer notification date as well as an owner notification date including the day, month, and year. You are required to submit a draft owner notification letter to this office no less than five days prior to mailing it to the customers. Also, copies of all notices, bulletins, dealer notifications, and other communications that relate to this recall, including a copy of the final owner notification letter and any subsequent owner follow-up notification letter(s), are required to be submitted to this office no later than 5 days after they are originally sent (if they are sent to more than one manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or purchaser/owner).

Dometic must file a sample of the envelope which you intend to use to mail the recall notice to owners. The words "SAFETY", "RECALL", "NOTICE" in any order must be printed on the envelope in larger font than the customers name and address.
Mel & Mary Ann; Mo'Be (More Behave...) and Bella
"If you have an RV, you don't need another hobby." Comment from a friend...

90 Champion LaSalle MH 29 ft P30 (89 Chassis)

Visit The Official Blog of the Open Road
854 REPLIES 854

stephenl
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering the same thing. My model is DM2652 as well. My serial number starts with 75 so as best as I can tell it was manufactured in May 2007 if a previous poster was correct that the first 2 digits are the year and the month. I hope it's not affected as I'm leaving on a camping trip tomorrow.:?
2009 Discover Canada Kokanee Express 19CK-C
2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT LT 4.2L
Reese 750# WD w/ dual cam sway
Husky Excursion proportional brake ctrl.
Air Lift 1000, ScanGauge II, Peak 7" backup cam
My Pictures: Kokanee Express 19CK-C

DennisMiller
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if the DM fridges are not part of the recall. The notice lists RM units and supposedly they have been renamed to DM because of 10 years worth of serial numbers! Does "DM" mean that they will just have a problem in a few years or does it mean something has also changed on the units??
To clarify...I have a DM2652 unit but the RM2652 units are being recalled, so the DM2652 is OK??!

timsrv
Explorer
Explorer
It's also possible he grounded the 12v power supply and blew a fuse inside the RV. I've also seen poor installs where wires were pinched by the new sheet metal. Tim

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The recall adds a couple of safety devices before the circuit board. A fairly common problem is when the new wire between the junction block and the first thermal fuse isn't making a good connection (which should be caught when the service center *tests* the recall installation).
Check for 12 volts at the thermal cutoff riveted to the chimney- both sides.
-- Chris Bryant

socalrvers
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my RM 2852 recall work done at Mike Thompson's RV in Colton CA, now the fridge lights wont come on. Does anyone have any idea I checked the circuit board in back the fuses seem fine..Please help..

nanahow
Explorer
Explorer
how do i find a dometic service center as my rig is one of the ones that has a recalled refrigerator

DJSSR54
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have the recall install instructions for a Dometic RM3863?

w6pea
Explorer
Explorer
I never received a recall notice. I went to a local RV parts store to buy a part for my RV. The owner of the store asked me what brand of refrigerator we had, and what year was or RV. He told me about it.
Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

enfd7
Explorer
Explorer
I am the second owner of my motorhome. My Dometic RM2652 is affected by the recall. I called the previous owner who lives right down the street and asked him if he received a recall notice. I said that he did not. The dealer has been shut down for fraud. What do I do now? Can I get the parts and fix it myself? I've replaced entire cooling units in the past so I think I'm capable.

Hitch-Happy
Explorer
Explorer
What bothers me about this recall is that it does not eliminate the potential leak.

I have the repair kit and the installation instructions, it is nothing more than a patch up kit to prevent the leaking fluid from igniting.

The leaking fluid and subsequent failure of the refrigerator remains the burden for the RV owner. Who knows what that will cost.

This is the second new RV I've purchased that has had an inherent fault with the Dometic refrigerator. The first was one of thousands that were fitted with a circuit board that would quit after a year or so rendering the fridge useless. No recall on that, but it cost about $120 for the replacement board, more if you had a dealer install it.

I think that it's time for our RV manufacturers to find a new supplier of refrigerators. Dometic don't seem to have the ability to make a good product, nor the sense of responsibility to do the right thing and replace leaking units at their expense.
Phil & Wendy

up5
Explorer
Explorer
Better get it looked at quick. My 35' sprinter just burned a week ago today. The fire investigator says it started behind the refrigerator and its the second one he has seen.I didnt even know there was a problem with dometic till a friend brought me his letter a couple of days after the fire. If any of you havent had yours looked at get it done.It was amazing how fast it went up 30 seconds totally engulfed if someone was elderly, handicapped or maybe asleep they probably wouldnt get out. Thanks Scott

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some say it is the electric element, some say it's the propane.. If yours is on the recall list visit an authorized service center and get it done, that's all I have to say about it... Don't ask if you "really need it" just get it done and don't worry. A couple of trips ago I found mine was listed.. I called the dealer (Who is authorized) made the appointment, stopped in on my way home (Let's see it was how many FEET out of my way... (Freeway line fence is property line for the dealership) and now I don't worry about it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That's odd- I've never, ever had a problem with Dometic warranty, and never, ever been asked if I verified the maintenance record.

But... things do change.
-- Chris Bryant

w6pea
Explorer
Explorer
I took my 2005 Jamboree, in today and had the refer fixed. They put a new sheild in , it took about 45 min. total.
Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi