Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic RM1350 fridge works on gas not AC

kahoona
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
This one is driving me nuts and that's not a long drive these days!!!
We bought a new to us DP a few months ago. Not long after an outlet shorted violently and took out many of the electronics including inverter jacks and the fridge. The Dometic RM1350 4 door did work when we got it except for the auto door locks which had been disabled. After the meltdown the fridge did not work at all.
We had the mobile tech that fixed the electrical problem check the fridge. He said it needed a board and since we were leaving on vacation he suggested we should replace the board. No improvement
When we got to our destination we got a tech to come and look at it. He said he would come back with and a igniter and he showed me that it was not sparking. He would bring a new board too just in case.His office then called and said that the parts weren't available and they would not be returning.
I ordered an igniter and a spare board and replacing the igniter made the gas work.
I replaced the switch board up top and the LED board because I wasn't sure I was getting the tests right. That did not do it.
I tested the wire harness between the boards.
I checked the DC input to the lower board.
I checked for AC at the outlets and at the lugs supplying the lower board.
I checked the thermistor in the stack.
I checked the heating element for correct resistance.
I checked the 3a, 5a and AC fuse.I checked the ends of the cables for bent pins of bad connections.
The service manual says that if there is DC coming from the upper board on the orange, green and black wires and there is AC at terminals J5 and J6 but no AC going to the heaters on J6 and J7 the board must be replaced because it is not seeing AV coming in. I replaced the board again. Still no change.
I am in the process of checking every item and connections for continuity or power and am trying to learn enough about the electronics to understand it. I am certain that either there is something that causes the lower board to shut down the AC, perhaps a safety or there is something that damages every board that I put in.

Has anyone had experience with this situation or know of anything that would cause it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

These parts are not necessary but might be interesting. Stop here if bored.

I have just now made jumpers to connect the AC directly to the heaters. If I shut off the gas and the igniter it will work on AC. The cooling in this fridge is very weak to begin with and, here in the Keys it cannot get the temps below 38f fridge/5f freezer overnight with an outdoor low of 80f. I can't use this up North because it might get too cold though and damage something.I still have to get it fixed. This is just temporary.

I had removed this fridge from the slide to do an annual maintenance including cleaning the flue and replacing the baffle. The burner was cleaned and better fans installed on the back. The fan thermostat was changed and the thermistor above the burner was tested. I corrected a terrible install by adding rigid insulation where the gaps had allowed heat around and above the fridge. I taped large gaps in the outer shell of the fridge.
Kahoona

Just think of it as a boat except that it is the top that needs to be waterproof.
9 REPLIES 9

kahoona
Explorer
Explorer
Today I ran all of the tests and checked all of the things that connect to the board and all were good. With a helper I checked that the upper boards were signaling the lower to start the AC mode. I decided to pot in a spare new board just in case the replacements were bad but it still did not run. AC into the board but none out.
I'll can dino and dometic tomorrow.
Kahoona

Just think of it as a boat except that it is the top that needs to be waterproof.

kahoona
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
A recurring problem would not be a circuit board. It could be an element or connection on the output of the circuit board to the element.
I would call Dinosaur as they have some good people that could help with diagnosis.

I am going to do that then. Thanks. It did not occur to me that they might help out someone who didn't buy something. Good people! I'll let you know how I make out.
Kahoona

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
A recurring problem would not be a circuit board. It could be an element or connection on the output of the circuit board to the element.
I would call Dinosaur as they have some good people that could help with diagnosis.
I would second what Bud said, the dinosaur techs have helped me several times, the last incident was a intermittent connection which was an easily fix but I would never have found it by myself. I would probe the connectors from the board to the 120v heater. Do you see 120 volts at the connections? If so check your GFI, is it tripped? If so change the element.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

kahoona
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would call Dinosaur Electronics.
I did not find your model or board listened. They may have what you need. They have very exceptional replacement products.

I had wanted to get a Dinosaur but couldn't find it on the list. If I decide I need to replace it a fourth time I will call Dinosaur first.
Kahoona

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
I would try replacing the heating element. I had an issue once that was popping the 120V GFCI every time the fridge element kicked on. The fridge element obviously had some sort of internal (short?) problem. It would work fine and tested great.. but the GFCI problem disappeared after I replaced the element. They can be tricky at times...
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would call Dinosaur Electronics.
I did not find your model or board listened. They may have what you need. They have very exceptional replacement products.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

kahoona
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
It could be a bad main circuit board 120 volt AC relay.
Did you check for 120 volts coming out of the circuit board?
Look for the Dometic number on the circuit board where the element connects. Then post the number!

Dometic 3851005029 Power Module

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T36SK6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is what I thought too! 2 different techs told me it must be the board too. I replaced it three times now without any results. What would make it not work with a new board? That is what I wonder. Too bad there isn't a Dinosaur board to fit.
Kahoona

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could be a bad main circuit board 120 volt AC relay.
Did you check for 120 volts coming out of the circuit board?
Look for the Dometic number on the circuit board where the element connects. Then post the number!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow