Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic - Up or Down

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Actually two questions...
We got flooded out of our house by Imelda, and will be living in our 5th wheel for the foreseeable future.
We have a brand new Dometic fridge that is running almost cool enough on max setting. I know moving the slide up or down the fins changes the temp, but I can't remember which way is which.
question 2 - I know it cools faster on propane, but should it maintain the temp I want on AC? Outside temps 80s to low 90s.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
16 REPLIES 16

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bobcouch wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - especially Old Biscuit's - mine does have temp settings 1-5, but I moved the slide up a bit anyway. Everything in the freezer is frozen hard as a rock this morning - running on AC

1. Sliding the Thermister on an adjustable Tstat controlled unit has no affect
2. Sliding the Thermister is for AUTO temp refers. Sliding it will only change the bottom temp by about 4 degrees.
3. RV refers(not side by side models), the FREEZER will get as cold as it gets regardless of Temp setting. The temp setting does not control the freezer temp.
LAST, LP and 120 will cool the refer the SAME. They have the same BTU parameters. LP will start about 5 minutes quicker on a hot refer(it takes about 5 minutes for the 120 element to reach full temp). The factors that change LP and 120 will be 120 LINE VOLTAGE. If low Voltage the refer will not cool as well. If the burner is dirty or the LP pressure below 11.5 inches WC then it will not cool as well on LP. Doug

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies - especially Old Biscuit's - mine does have temp settings 1-5, but I moved the slide up a bit anyway. Everything in the freezer is frozen hard as a rock this morning - running on AC
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Moving the thermistor can affect the overall fridge temps by 4*F-6*F on the Models that have 'AUTO TEMP CONTROLS' (NO temp adjustment settings)
UP on the Fin....COLDER
DOWN on the Fin..WARMER

Models WITH Temp Setting controls (1-5 & 1-9) should have the thermistor left in the OEM position (mid FIN on fin specified by RV MFG.----far right/far left/10th fin etc)
Fridge Thermostat is factory calibrated to control temp based on feed back from thermistor on specific position on fin

Propane will START the cooling process quicker then Electric due to the initial heat transfer by the hot flame
Electric and propane are sized to produce roughly the SAME heat required to boil the ammonia into a sufficient quanity of vapor for the cooling process

Thanks for this. I didn't realize that with the Temp control settings that the thermistor was not attached to the fins. Our fridge was running warmer than normal with milk starting to get weird after a few days. Was worried that it might be on it's way out. Once I read your post looked inside and notice that the thermistor had slipped all the way to the bottom of the fins. Moved it back to the mark on the fridge and all is nice and cold again.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hot air rises so the higher the clip the "hotter" the air it's exposed to.
And thus the COLDER the fridge

Addition of fans to the INSIDE (And outside) of the fridge can improve performance as well.. I have two "Computer type" fans (12 volt fans) in the outside compartment blowing UP. there are multiple designes for these fans and multiple locations you can put 'em (bottom or top of stack) these improve cooling.

and I have two more inside circulating air.. They help too.

There is a light/fan "kit" that mounts at the top of the fidge that is about 100 bucks from I think CW and other suppliers that I plan to add once I get the Fridge working..again.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Might look into fridge fans if you're still full timing by next summer.

A fan inside the fridge and also at the roof hot air exit both help.

My fridge like yours will be over 41F in spots. Especially the swinging door. No biggie if camping for a week but might spoil food that sits in there for months.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Ditch it and get a compressor fridge and be happy.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I was waiting on you "Old Biscuit" to chime in.... Thanks!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moving the thermistor can affect the overall fridge temps by 4*F-6*F on the Models that have 'AUTO TEMP CONTROLS' (NO temp adjustment settings)
UP on the Fin....COLDER
DOWN on the Fin..WARMER

Models WITH Temp Setting controls (1-5 & 1-9) should have the thermistor left in the OEM position (mid FIN on fin specified by RV MFG.----far right/far left/10th fin etc)
Fridge Thermostat is factory calibrated to control temp based on feed back from thermistor on specific position on fin

Propane will START the cooling process quicker then Electric due to the initial heat transfer by the hot flame
Electric and propane are sized to produce roughly the SAME heat required to boil the ammonia into a sufficient quanity of vapor for the cooling process
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is Dometic fridges do better at 7-8, instead of max.

Try going down a bump with the outside setting, wait 24 hours, then readjust as needed with the thermostat inside

Yes, it should maintain temp on electric.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
lap527 wrote:
hmmm.....we were always told that sliding it up meant colder. Inquiring minds sure would like to know. Would it matter what kind of rv refrigerator it is?

OK, you are correct. I looked up a couple YouTube videos and "UP" is colder. Sorry, my bad.

I guess I had the wire stretched to the max with the slide going up.

Whew....thanks for the correction...makes me feel better about our fridge.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Up is colder, down warmer

Get a snip the tip, and then you donโ€™t have to worry about moving it
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A new fridge should have the proper fin setting printed on the wall next to it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
hmmm.....we were always told that sliding it up meant colder. Inquiring minds sure would like to know. Would it matter what kind of rv refrigerator it is?

OK, you are correct. I looked up a couple YouTube videos and "UP" is colder. Sorry, my bad.

I guess I had the wire stretched to the max with the slide going up.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer