Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DVD player suggestions

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
What is everyone using that has lasted?

I would prefer something that will fit in a single DIN hole, although the faceplate can be larger.

Our camper came with a Furrion, a 5100 or 5200 I believe.

Wouldn't read DVD's after a year.

Furrion sent me a 5600 under warranty. It lasted a year and now won't feed a DVD.

They won't replace that unit because it was replaced under the camper warranty, which has expired.

In the market for a new one, and I don't want to have to replace it in another year!

It's a shame, because I really like the Furrion units, and they where great to deal with on the phone. Not sure if anyone is having better luck with the 3000 series units?

What else are you using that works well and has lasted for you? Bluetooth would be a plus!
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000
12 REPLIES 12

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
So most people use residential units over the in wall units that the campers came with?

Not sure about "most" - but probably "yes".

Even 'residential units' can be "in wall" units.

Design your own / modify what you have!

IMO - You be happier with the results - and easier to upgrade
any of the components in the future (if necessary).

(I use the same Sony players as at home - reg DVD and BluRay)

~

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I set the Furrion to "video in" to run sound off the rear jacks. And I don't believe the 3100 is made anymore. It's interesting to note the new Grand Design trailers have a Jensen sound system. And I don't think anybody makes a 12V Blue Ray player that fits in the original opening.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
I believe the Furrion we have is a 3100. The TV has a coax sound output & I ran that into a converter to split the left & right channels out and then into the Furrion rear connections. Or - Does the Furrion have a 3mm aux input on the front you could use?

How long has your 3100 been working? I was looking at that model, or the 3300, to replace ours. I was hoping maybe the "better" models might last longer.

Also, what mode did you have to put it in to use the rear RCA inputs on your Furrion? Mine has them, but I have had no luck getting them to work. Tried hooking the sound out of my TV to the sound input in the back of our head unit, but it never worked.

I do have an aux in the front that works, but that would be a last resort.

BFL13 wrote:
...I know it is all old -tech, but it's good enough for me! I like those old movies and TV show DVDs you can borrow from the library, and our set-up is great for those.

I would do something like this in a minute, but I have this weird issue where it drives me crazy if something that's already built in doesn't work! ๐Ÿ˜„
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not good info for fussy types, but no problem for years with an ordinary DVD player (also plays CDs , even of the kind the 2003 truck's player won't play) This DVD has that feature to upgrade the video on older DVDs. That actually works! Did a comparison with an older player that didn't have that.

Instead of using the not so good speakers in the TV, I use a set of 2.1 powered speakers meant for a computer. You need the Y adapter with red and white plugs into the back of the DVD player that goes to a stereo mini-plug and then a connecting piece that joins that to the green mini-plug on the speaker wiring. The TV , DVD, and speakers all plug into a power bar that goes to a receptacle powered by an inverter, so you can do it all off-grid.

I know it is all old -tech, but it's good enough for me! I like those old movies and TV show DVDs you can borrow from the library, and our set-up is great for those.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Furrion we have is a 3100. The TV has a coax sound output & I ran that into a converter to split the left & right channels out and then into the Furrion rear connections. Or - Does the Furrion have a 3mm aux input on the front you could use?
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
So most people use residential units over the in wall units that the campers came with?
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I have no clue what we are using. We got it from Wall Mart a few years ago. It plays DVD and Blue-Ray. It also has internet access. It's worked fine for us for at least a couple good years now. Then we got a new television for the camper living room last year and it came internet ready. So, we don't need to feed Netflex or YouTube videos through the player any more.

You can spend a fortune on a player and it may die the first time you use it. You may get an inexpensive one and it may play for years. Just go to Wall Mart or Best Buy and look for something that meets your needs. Maybe I'm a bit different here, but when it comes to my camper ... price is irrelevant, it's all about functionality.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
Can't you connect the audio output on your TV to an audio input on the Furrion?

I tried. Unfortunately I found no where in the menus for the head unit to activate the audio input in the back. Nothing in the manual either. Very odd.
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Can't you connect the audio output on your TV to an audio input on the Furrion?

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
I'm using a Sony residential wi-fi Blue Ray player.

Thanks. We are currently using a residential player, but it limits us to using the speakers on the television. Which are...bad. ๐Ÿ™‚
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using a Sony residential wi-fi Blue Ray player.
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......