Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric galley slide issues_Slim Rack_2018 Seismic 4212

Stewie_Griffin
Explorer
Explorer
**Edited the title to give more information and for accuracy**

Okay, so the wife and I purchased a 2018 Jayco Seismic 4212 last year and we noticed right off the bat that our galley slide seemed sluggish and possibly out of alignment.
Well, we used it a lot last year and after some time, it started really struggling to come in at first. Most times, it will come in an inch at a time for a bit, then eventually come in normally.
Now, this has tracks on the side (not a schwintek) and I noticed they had a sticky grease type lube on them. I washed them and put some dry lube on them. I also put grease on the bottom where the rollers are. No change.
Well, we bought a 5 year warranty with this RV and I checked it in with the dealer a month ago. They're telling me the interior gears and motor needs to be replaced. $5,000.00 and they doubt the warranty company will cover it. They asked me if I greased the gear rails, I told them I used that dry lube, but only after the slide was acting up.
I'm going to get the RV tomorrow, because they need the space and it's going to be a little bit before this gets figured out.
My question is, can the motor and gear wheels be saved? Can I get in there with some cleaning agents and clean the gear teeth enough to save everything, or is it a worthless cause?
I have no idea how I'm going to prove to the warranty company that the damage was done before we bought it.
At this point, I'm hesitant to do anything, I thought lubing the gear teeth was the right thing to do (metal gears usually need lube), but apparently that's not the case and I don't want to make a bad situation worse.
I wish there was a warning sticker there that stated to not use grease on the gear rails. They have warnings for everything else.
14 REPLIES 14

Stewie_Griffin
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Stewie Griffin wrote:
The dealer wording was "5 year warranty", but yeah, it's a service agreement with a deductible, so it's like an insurance plan. I did read the contract and if there was a way to prove I did not put grease on the gear rails, I would have been covered. However, it looks like we are not going to need to replace the motors and gears, they are just going to clean them, thankfully.

It's not a schwintek, it is a "slim rack", it's on their website. They list 5 different types (Schwinteck, slim rack, above floor, fast track & through frame).

Yeah, after I got off the phone with LCI, I was armed with a lot more information. I was definitely not going to be replacing motors and I was going to bring it home and clean the gear teeth until they were spotless, ten I was going to lube the gear shafts, but the stealership is going to do it for a pretty good price.
Wow, learn something new every day. I had no idea there were so many different brands.

I do trust this dealer, they've been good to me in the past, someone definitely made an error on the initial assessment, I think credit should be given considering they called me and made it right. With them doing the cleaning, they'll make sure it's right before I come get it and if something is wrong, they're on the hook for it.
I've dealt with other dealers that would never call and make things right like this one did, especially when you didn't buy that RV there, I did not buy this RV from this dealer.
Thanks for the video.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I should have mentioned. Both the slim rack and the Schwintek type slide mechanism's, ALL THEY DO IS MOVE THE ROOM IN AND OUT. The slide box is supported by the under floor rollers. The floor rollers are not really part of the slide motor design. BUT, are required for a SChwintek/Slim Rack box. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Stewie Griffin wrote:
The dealer wording was "5 year warranty", but yeah, it's a service agreement with a deductible, so it's like an insurance plan. I did read the contract and if there was a way to prove I did not put grease on the gear rails, I would have been covered. However, it looks like we are not going to need to replace the motors and gears, they are just going to clean them, thankfully.

It's not a schwintek, it is a "slim rack", it's on their website. They list 5 different types (Schwinteck, slim rack, above floor, fast track & through frame).

Yeah, after I got off the phone with LCI, I was armed with a lot more information. I was definitely not going to be replacing motors and I was going to bring it home and clean the gear teeth until they were spotless, ten I was going to lube the gear shafts, but the stealership is going to do it for a pretty good price.
Wow, learn something new every day. I had no idea there were so many different brands.

There are numerous "Brands" and sub products in the Brands. That is why it is so important to state Brand/Year/Model RV and the brand and type slide system to get good help. I would say there are at least 30 or more slide systems. Doug

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stewie Griffin wrote:

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You still have confidence in your dealer??????????????????? They quote you $5000 and state they doubt the ESC will pay and then come back with no real parts being replaced just a good cleaning and adjustment????????? Look at this video. They wanted $5000???????

https://support.lci1.com/videos/slimrack-slide-out-gear-rack-replacement

Stewie_Griffin
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
1. You have NO WARRANTY
2. You have an Extended Service Contract
3. You need to READ the ESC and see what they cover and what they do NOT.
4. You do NOT have a Hydraulic slide assbly
5. LCI(Schwintek) makes 2 models of a electric side rail slide mechanism Powergear and Schwintek.
6. $5000 is outrageous. They are gouging you. You need to find another service center. Doug

Stewie_Griffin
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
Stewie Griffin wrote:
Okay, so the wife and I purchased a 2018 Jayco Seismic 4212 last year and we noticed right off the bat that our galley slide seemed sluggish and possibly out of alignment.
Well, we used it a lot last year and after some time, it started really struggling to come in at first. Most times, it will come in an inch at a time for a bit, then eventually come in normally.
Now, this has tracks on the side (not a schwintek) and I noticed they had a sticky grease type lube on them. I washed them and put some dry lube on them. I also put grease on the bottom where the rollers are. No change.

Well, we bought a 5 year warranty with this RV and I checked it in with the dealer a month ago. They're telling me the interior gears and motor needs to be replaced.

$5,000.00 and they doubt the warranty company will cover it. They asked me if I greased the gear rails, I told them I used that dry lube, but only after the slide was acting up.
I'm going to get the RV tomorrow, because they need the space and it's going to be a little bit before this gets figured out.
My question is, can the motor and gear wheels be saved? Can I get in there with some cleaning agents and clean the gear teeth enough to save everything, or is it a worthless cause?
I have no idea how I'm going to prove to the warranty company that the damage was done before we bought it.
At this point, I'm hesitant to do anything, I thought lubing the gear teeth was the right thing to do (metal gears usually need lube), but apparently that's not the case and I don't want to make a bad situation worse.
I wish there was a warning sticker there that stated to not use grease on the gear rails. They have warnings for everything else.

Hi,

Your post title stated the words hydraulic, but the blue paraphrased wording the dearer told you, sounds different. The motor and gears seem to point to an electric rack and pinion system.

I tried to see if I could find something about your camper. This manual from Jayco on a 2018 Seismic ***Link Removed***

Has a large section on slides, and you flip to the system you have. Granted it is not uncommon to not have the manual line up with the camper in this kind of detail, but they do not mention any hydraulic slide systems that I saw. It may be they never updated the manual. Where did you get the idea your system was a hydraulic slide drive?

Yes, please post some pictures of the gears on the side and the slide drive system under the camper.

I have not had to deal with/repair the hydraulic slide yet, and on the ones I have seen, the hydraulic cylinder attaches to a gear rack where an elector motor drive (ball screw) would go. But I have worked on many electric drive rack and pinion systems and may be able to help on that part. Maybe we all learn something new here.

Hope this helps.

John

It is an electric slide, which I knew, everything on it is electric, brain fart on my part.

I spoke with LCI this morning, they told me the gear wheels can absolutely be saved by scrubbing them with lots of water and dawn and that there should be no reason why the motors need to be changed out.

Before I even had the chance to call the dealer, they called me and told me not to come get it. They said they had someone else look at it and they determined that they are going to pull it back in and clean the gears, they should not need to be changed out. Best news I heard all day. The cost is fair.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. You have NO WARRANTY
5. LCI(Schwintek) makes 2 models of a electric side rail slide mechanism Powergear and Schwintek.
6. $5000 is outrageous. They are gouging you. You need to find another service center. Doug
Just curious if there is any real differences between the Powergear and Schwintek?

Similar in operation and looks, but the PG is better. Doug

PS, $5000 is at least $2500 too much. This is if it is the worst case scenario.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
1. You have NO WARRANTY
Just curious if there is any real differences between the Powergear and Schwintek?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. You have NO WARRANTY

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Stewie Griffin wrote:

Well, we bought a 5 year warranty with this RV and I checked it in with the dealer a month ago. They're telling me the interior gears and motor needs to be replaced.

$5,000.00 and they doubt the warranty company will cover it. They asked me if I greased the gear rails, I told them I used that dry lube, but only after the slide was acting up.

Hi,

Your post title stated the words hydraulic, but the blue paraphrased wording the dearer told you, sounds different. The motor and gears seem to point to an electric rack and pinion system.

I tried to see if I could find something about your camper. This manual from Jayco on a 2018 Seismic https://www.jayco.com/manuals/?RvManualSearch%5Byear%5D=2018&RvManualSearch%5Btype%5D=15&RvManualSea...

Has a large section on slides, and you flip to the system you have. Granted it is not uncommon to not have the manual line up with the camper in this kind of detail, but they do not mention any hydraulic slide systems that I saw. It may be they never updated the manual. Where did you get the idea your system was a hydraulic slide drive?

Yes, please post some pictures of the gears on the side and the slide drive system under the camper.

I have not had to deal with/repair the hydraulic slide yet, and on the ones I have seen, the hydraulic cylinder attaches to a gear rack where an elector motor drive (ball screw) would go. But I have worked on many electric drive rack and pinion systems and may be able to help on that part. Maybe we all learn something new here.

Hope this helps.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, most hydraulic slides have a pretty large cylinder under the trailer, and that pushes/pulls the slide. The gears and racks basically just guide the slide and make sure it stays lined up. A very simple system, and pretty reliable.

If you could post a few pictures it would certainly help because I simply can't wrap my head around this particular slide mechanism.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Stewie_Griffin
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I wasn't aware there were slides with tracks on the sides that were not Schwinteks. These are one track near the top, and one track near the bottom and on both sides?

Yes, most of the ones I have seen, have the gear tracks underneath the slide, but this one has them on the sides.
I just watched a video on an Alpine, where the tracks and gear wheels were underneath the main slide and they were exposed to the elements. Everything looked covered in grime. I'm trying to figure out how that's fine, but a little grease destroys them.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wasn't aware there were slides with tracks on the sides that were not Schwinteks. These are one track near the top, and one track near the bottom and on both sides?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"