cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric question

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
One leg of my 50 amp went out. Both sides of power post are good to go. Hooked up dog bone to 30 amp and both legs worked. Used a new 50 amp cord with twist connection adapter. Worked for a few days then one leg went out again.
sometimes the 50 is on and then itโ€™s gone. Any of you electrical people have a possible answer.
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet
5 REPLIES 5

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
prolly at the connector at the rv side inlet.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
When you are having problems, have to checked to see if you have a reading of 220-240V when inserting probes into the 2 hot connections? You should have 120V from either hot connection to ground but something close to 220-240V when probed between the 2 hots.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happened to me once... History
Original plug on 50 amp cord got nasty so I cut it off and grafted on another (Replacement plug properly applied to cord)
One of the connections in the plug failed.
IF I wiggled the plug (which you did when you switched to the dogbone) the connection would "Make" then later re-fail.

Next stop was the shop for other reasons (Tools I don't have) and while the Technician did his thing.. I did mine with a brand new plug and the cord.. No further issues.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Btax,

If I understand you correctly, you clearly have an intermittent (aka bad connection) that could be just about anywhere. It could be any where along the line.

You changed to another cable and it worked for a while?
Did you check the 50 at the post again?

If any of your cables are not molded end, get out a screw driver and open them up and look for the bad connection.

If you try to diagnose this with a "voltage" detector, that will drive you crazy because there will always be enough AC around to indicate power as there.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Starting at the shore panel check all connections between there and your RV panel.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD