Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical help adapter do/don't

stressmaster
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Kodiak skamper 160 by thor

The plug in camper says 30A but I found a adapter that plugs into 15A. Is this safe? Also should I get a 50A to 30A adapter when out camping? Not sure what campsites have for hookup now days.

Also looking for a extension cord. Obviously a normal one even the heavy duty probably would not be safe.

Has fridge, microwave, heater, AC, A inverter somewhere as also has a old tv and 120v plugs
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are they safe? YES
But be aware you are very limited

A/C can take 13-15 amps
Fridge *RV type 3-4
Microwave 10-15
Converter, up to about 10 if the batteries are hungry
Water heater 12.5
On a 15 amp circuit. with full batteries pick one I'd run the fridge on gas.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-Cord/Mighty-Cord/A10-3025E.html

If your looking for a dedicated extension cord. Shop around you might find a better price
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
stressmaster,

I use the 30 to 15 when I need "extra" power for running the block heater--or perhaps for cooking at a picnic table. Cheapest source for dogbone adapters is Walmart.

Pick 3% for voltage drop.

I've also got a "fancy pants" break out box 50 to 30 and 50 to twin 20 amp outlets with circuit breakers.

Where I camp it can get to -40. I am able to heat 100% electrically--but my peak load is 7100 watts and the average is about 5400 watts. It works out to about 129 KWH per day.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

stressmaster
Explorer
Explorer
stressmaster wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Try to pick adapters that are "dog bones". They are safe. I carry a 15 to 30, a 50 to 30, and a 30 to 15.

For extension cords use ones with #10 wire.

If plugging into a 15 amp shore power #12 may work well. Just don't exceed 1800 watts of total demand.

I love my kill-a-watt meter.

Oh I love this explanation! And everyone should own a kill-o-watt meter lol

what is the purpose of getting 15 to 30 & 30 to 15?

stressmaster
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
stressmaster wrote:
Were would be a good price place in usa for #10 wire extension cord and what is recommended length?

Use your favorite voltage drop calculator. Mine is:

https://www.southwire.com/ca/en-ca/calculator-vdrop

I'll give it a try but not sure what i'd need to look for as far as voltage drop.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
stressmaster wrote:
Were would be a good price place in usa for #10 wire extension cord and what is recommended length?

Use your favorite voltage drop calculator. Mine is:

https://www.southwire.com/ca/en-ca/calculator-vdrop
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

stressmaster
Explorer
Explorer

stressmaster
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Most parks have 30 amp. Get out a few times and see what goes. Adapters and extensions are available on the road. You may not need anything for quite a while.

Good to know. Was worried that they'd be like 50A standard.

stressmaster
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Try to pick adapters that are "dog bones". They are safe. I carry a 15 to 30, a 50 to 30, and a 30 to 15.

If plugging into a 15 amp shore power #12 may work well. Just don't exceed 1800 watts of total demand.

Oh I love this explanation! And everyone should own a kill-o-watt meter lol

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most parks have 30 amp. Get out a few times and see what goes. Adapters and extensions are available on the road. You may not need anything for quite a while.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, with a 30 amp RV, the following adapters are a good idea, ALONG with the knowledge to know how that limits your use of 120 VAC electrical loads:

15 male to 30 female adapter-- limits max 120 VAC load to 15 amps.

50 amp male to 30 amp female-- the 30 amp breaker in your RV still limits your max 120 VAC load to 30 amps.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Regards, Don