cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical issue.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I went to hook up the black tank flush the other day and noticed the back-up light on. OK, obviously something charged that circuit, a worn wire or something. I plugged into the truck and the truck back-up lights came on. Great....now what? I can possibly isolate the back-up light pin and disconnect it to prevent the power feedback to the truck. I have about a 4 hour trip home from where I am at and don't want to chance some other damage if that's possible. Any suggestions on this issue? The trailer is a Keystone Laredo 334RE travel trailer.
3 REPLIES 3

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I would open up the wiring junction box on your pin box where the trailer cord terminates. There will be a wire from the 7 pin cord with a wire for the backup lights connected to a trailer wire, likely with a wire nut. Disconnect that wire from the cord. That will at least stop the trailer from backfeeding and turning on the truck backup lights. You might even find the wire problem there. Could be the backup light wire has somehow come in contact with the 12 volt wire in that junction box.

7 pin wiring

This is exactly what I did. I saw no issue in the box to indicate the problem. At least I can get home not worrying about the power feedback. Thanks for the response though.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would open up the wiring junction box on your pin box where the trailer cord terminates. There will be a wire from the 7 pin cord with a wire for the backup lights connected to a trailer wire, likely with a wire nut. Disconnect that wire from the cord. That will at least stop the trailer from backfeeding and turning on the truck backup lights. You might even find the wire problem there. Could be the backup light wire has somehow come in contact with the 12 volt wire in that junction box.

7 pin wiring

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Odds are a loose wire in the trailer connector is contacting the 12-volt power conductor. You could take it a part and verify and fix, Or disconnect trailer battery.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker