cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Question

rayleepotter
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2015 Winnebago Journey (36M diesel pusher) and cant figure out the inverter/generator. When I power up the inverter at the control panel the refrigerator, microwave, and dual control air mattress automatically begin working. Within a short amount of time and inverter shows a low battery fault. I then ran my generator, but nothing (refrigerator, microwave, electrical outlets) powers up. I then attempted to power on the inverter, but as soon as the appliances begin to power up the generator shuts down. What am I missing. The rv also has two solar panels which I am unsure what they are powering. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray
8 REPLIES 8

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Just a crazy idea here, maybe you could tell us the brand and model of inverter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
rayleepotter wrote:
I recently purchased a 2015 Winnebago Journey (36M diesel pusher) and cant figure out the inverter/generator. When I power up the inverter at the control panel the refrigerator, microwave, and dual control air mattress automatically begin working. Within a short amount of time and inverter shows a low battery fault. I then ran my generator, but nothing (refrigerator, microwave, electrical outlets) powers up. I then attempted to power on the inverter, but as soon as the appliances begin to power up the generator shuts down. What am I missing. The rv also has two solar panels which I am unsure what they are powering. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray

For simplicity, let's forget about solar. Everything else can be explained because your generator isn't putting out power. The frig, microwave, etc. don't work when the generator is on, AND it is not charging the batteries. Dead batteries won't keep the appliances on for very long.

What you didn't say was if you have access to shore power and if you are plugged in, and what happens to the appliances if you are plugged in.

Let's start with shore power: if you can plug in, then look at the control panel and verify if the charger is charging. It would help if you tell us what brand inverter/charger you have. Most have an indicator to tell you if you are charging or inverting.

If you are charging from shore power, you charger is good. Obviously your inverter is working. Your problem is your generator. As has been suggested, check the breaker on the generator itself. Locate the generator, and look for the control panel on the generator. Very possible the breaker is off. Reset it if it is.

Let us know what you find, please.

It is perfectly ok to plug into shore power, and run the generator. your automatic transfer switch takes care of switching to one or the other. Nothing bad will happen.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The inverter sucks power out of the batteries, and those appliances can and will suck the batteries dry in very short order. The inverter and generator (and, for that matter, shore power) CANNOT be hooked up to anything (or each other) at the same time lest major damage be done to one or all. That's why there are safety switches that shut down the generator on you. You can plug into shore power. OR you can run the generator. Or you can use the inverter to power things, with or without the solar power.

The above is not true. If your coach has inverter, generator, shore power connections then it also has a transfer switch. It sounds to me like you have an issue there. What the switch does is isolate the various power sources and allows only one at a time to power the coach. If you are on shore or inverter power and start the generator you should do no harm as the transfer switch will automatically (should) provide the coach with power from the generator (Default to generator). Secondary is shore power and if neither of those is available the plugs which are wired to the inverter (only) will have power. Plugging in or turning on the inverter should NOT shut your generator down!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The inverter sucks power out of the batteries, and those appliances can and will suck the batteries dry in very short order. The inverter and generator (and, for that matter, shore power) CANNOT be hooked up to anything (or each other) at the same time lest major damage be done to one or all. That's why there are safety switches that shut down the generator on you. You can plug into shore power. OR you can run the generator. Or you can use the inverter to power things, with or without the solar power.

MrWizard
The combo inverter/charger can only do one function at a time
It either inverter mode using battery power or it's in charge mode charging the batteries

Normally any 110v input power the combo does power pass thru and charge
You start the generator it starts charging
Don't know why, you can charge from the generator but not power the outlets

You manually enforce inverter mode, you turned off the charge function
The generator needs 12v per input for its control circuit
Low batteries inverter on caused the generator to shut off

Start generator verify you are getting 13v to 14v charge at the house batteries
Let them charge a couple of hours

If they are not charging, and you have no power at outlets, I suspect the main transfer switch is not working, or there is no generator output, check and reset the circuit breakers that are on the generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your batteries are shot and are dying very quickly under load. When they die the inverter shuts down. If your generator feeds thru the inverter then no power will flow if it is shut down.
Have your batteries tested. How old are they?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rayleepotter wrote:
The rv also has two solar panels which I am unsure what they are powering.
Look near the batteries for a solar controller.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Go to the Winnebago link and at the bottom right download the operators manual and other manuals for your RV. Hopefully they will help you find the problems or point you in the right direction.