Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EMS

flathead92
Explorer
Explorer
So whats better a $70 serge protector or a $300 one
If the ped gets hit by lighting no protector is gonna protect it right???
31 REPLIES 31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
That is a good idea but alas the voltage reading you get will be "no-load" and under load it can drop like a rock in free fall.. after you plug in move the volt meter to an outlet INSIDE the RV.

That is very true. However, nothing is perfect. If you pull in and test the line voltage "under load" and it is fine, the next day when everyone turns on their air conditioners at the same time, the line voltage could STILL drop like a rock. After all, you are not watching the voltage meter ALL THE TIME. That is why I also have the PI EMS-HW30C. (And, if I suspect that low line voltage will be a problem, I plug in my autoformer.)

Yup. and that's how I did it

Park--cords--Autoformer---EMS/SurgeGurard (mine was a surge guard)--ATS--Power distribution panel---All the 120 volt stuff in the RV.

Had one park where my wife tells me the neighbor claims her voltmeter is always in the red (low voltage) and I won't be happy.. No. had no problem (Notice ther "Autoformer" as the first thing power hits)..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Bobbo,

Which autoformer do you have?

Hughes RV2130-SP
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo,

Which autoformer do you have?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
That is a good idea but alas the voltage reading you get will be "no-load" and under load it can drop like a rock in free fall.. after you plug in move the volt meter to an outlet INSIDE the RV.

That is very true. However, nothing is perfect. If you pull in and test the line voltage "under load" and it is fine, the next day when everyone turns on their air conditioners at the same time, the line voltage could STILL drop like a rock. After all, you are not watching the voltage meter ALL THE TIME. That is why I also have the PI EMS-HW30C. (And, if I suspect that low line voltage will be a problem, I plug in my autoformer.)
Bobbo and Lin

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
flathead92 wrote:
So whats better a $70 serge protector or a $300 one
If the ped gets hit by lighting no protector is gonna protect it right???

Well when you consider the chances of the pedestal being hit by lighting, to the chances of low voltage or missed wired pedestal our PI 50 amp hardwired EMS, the $70 is poorly spent! The PI hardwired unit has a remote display which displays current amp being drawn and current voltage. Even at $400 cheap insurance! I just looked on the interweb and saw prices from $267 to $427, on Amazon I saw it for $333.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
I took my camper to my daughters house. Son in law said he wired in a 30 amp breaker. I asked if it was 120, he said yes. I plugged in, and no joy and progressive EMS wouldn't start up THANKFULLY. He had bought a double breaker (240) and wired that in. Once I fixed it, everything worked fine.

No doubt without the EMS, I would have fried a bunch of stuff in RV.

Mike

Even though I have a PI EMS-HW30C, I never, ever, plug in my RV until after I plug in this:

Bobbo and Lin

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Walaby wrote:
I took my camper to my daughters house. Son in law said he wired in a 30 amp breaker. I asked if it was 120, he said yes. I plugged in, and no joy and progressive EMS wouldn't start up THANKFULLY. He had bought a double breaker (240) and wired that in. Once I fixed it, everything worked fine.

Mike

Lol. Sounds like someone who shouldnโ€™t be playing with screwdrivers in a breaker panelโ€ฆ
Wow
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I never plug in without checking voltage under load.

30 amp to 15 amp to octopus divider to kill-a-watt and to load (1500 watt heater on high)

I also have a breakout box for use with a 50 amp service.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded to a 50a trailer and have no more use for this...Progressive Industries EMS-PT30-C electrical management system for RV. 30amps.

2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Surplus Electronics stores sometimes have them. I bought 120 units pallet of them in Rohnert Park California 43 years ago. They were military USAF unmarked 460 watt multitap. -30 20 10 0 + 10 20 30 for $440 Full 50db isolation.

You may have to drive to a big city or to near a USA USMC or USAF base. Mew ones as you know are expensive.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

The following can be of great assistance in learning the difference between auto and isolation transformers.

Know where I could get a small Isolation Transformer. Say 1-5 amps capacity at 120 volts? Not too expensive?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.badgermagnetics.com/case-studies/autotransformer-vs-isolation-transformer-isolation-tran...

Don,
The following can be of great assistance in learning the difference between auto and isolation transformers.

Down here, its absurd to consider an auto disconnect circuit protector as it means total electrical disconnection more than half the time in rural areas.

Direct distribution lightning protection is the most challenging circuits to create. It means separating incoming power from the load by at least 8 inches of air while offering enticing Corona corona discharge path(s). I know of no lower voltage device that will not burn to a cinder if incoming voltage takes a direct strike.

Does any RV insurance company offer underwriting protection against damage to RV accessories?